Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

My first winch launch!

Yesterday was a Good Day!

The weather started off not too good, but seeing as there were a couple of qualified instructors down at the club I managed to get two more of the lectures out of the way (there are several to get signed off on as part of taking up gliding). Near the end of the second lecture, it was announced that we would be flying during the rest of the afternoon. :cool:

I ended up having two short flights - no problem because I need to get on with circuit planning too! My instructor looked at my card and said right, you're doing the launch then.  Er... no don't think I'm ready... OK he said, but you're doing the second one!  :shok:

I guess with 20 flights under my belt I should be trying these things.

Anyhow, the conditions were nice and still, got a great approach set up and nailed the landing!

I was a bit apprehensive preparing for the next flight - can I react fast enough before the glider gains flying speed? (large un-coordinated control inputs to prevent a wing dropping whilst going where the cable wants you to go etc.).

I did something right because before I had time to get worried the ground run was over and she was flying! I ended up getting another 100 or so feet higher off the launch than my instructor managed previously!  :Big Grin:

Another spot on circuit and a good landing. My big mistake was almost doing a handbrake turn (E-brake in the US) on the ground run: The right wing was dropping so in addition to left aileron I put in a bootful of left rudder. It would have been a good coordinated turn in the air!!  :unknw:

No harm done although too late I'd realised my mistake.

I've a long way to go before I can carry out the above unsupervised, but it's a great feeling nonetheless!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!