Sign in to follow this  
LevelMind

Initial cointact with ATC

Hi

I'm wondering if you have to include aircraft type on your initial contact with ATC during approach and on ground (Approach controller and Delivery), or if you only need to do that if specified in the ATIS. I'm quite certain that you always need to do it in the UK, but my question is regarding the rest of Europe.

Now, the reason that made me think about this was because the other day when I flew with ATC, I did not include my aircraft type in my request for clearance to delivery, since it didn't say in the ATIS. But the ATC then asked me to tell him my aircraft type even though it did not say anything in the ATIS or on the Charts. So this made me wonder how it works in the real world. Do they always include aircraft type, or should it only be included if specified? And do you include aicraft type on initial contact with Approach?

Thanks in advance.

In the US, I have never heard of having to include aircraft type in your clearance request. This information is included in your equipment type when you file a flight plan and first connect to VATSIM. I am not certain whether or not this is required in Europe however if the ATIS states to state aircraft type then definitely do so.

All right, thank you for your response.

However I am aware that it is indeed included in your flightplan, but the reason you sometimes tend to report your aircraft type is because airlines tend to change the aircraft that will be operating that route in a short time, and therefore the flightplan might indicate the incorrect aircraft type than what is actually flying.

The only thing you should report is "heavy" or "super" to an approach controller or below (ground, tower, departure, approach). The reason is that aircraft size matters when maneuvering around the airport and in small, congested airspace.  This being the case, reporting "heavy" and "super" is not required above the approach ATC level (center) as aircraft size is not a concern and technically speaking would be considered superfluous information.

As already pointed out, Aircraft Type (ICAO) is contained in in filed flight plan (which should also contain navigation equipment suffix).

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.