Sign in to follow this  
tanker

Autopilot Approach

Hi, I've managed to figure out most of the B350i (still working on the Proline 21), but I find that the APPR button on the FGP panel doesn't seem to work. This happens with the autopilot on, altitude hold on, ILS frequency tuned on NAV 1, and within range and on course. I can activate approach mode by selecting a button I have programmed with FSUIPC. Anyone else have this problem?

Dale

Dale

Added to the bug list I hope, tested and found that I had to disengage all other lateral modes, then re-engage after several APPR button presses on the FGP to get the AP to fly the ILS. The real PL21 is user friendly in all approach modes, any coders in the house?

Thanks, I wanted to make sure it wasn't something I did wrong or unique to my setup.

Dale

it wasn't something I did wrong or unique

Well, the biggest problem with Carenado's implementation of the Proline 21 is the fact that functions that are selected (ON), if you do something navigational else, suddenly loose the active state while the mouse-over tells you it's still on. Do anything in the CDU, f.i. selecting another arrival/approach, and your are in for a surprise.

Here is how I have figured out to fly an ILS approach:

• Dial in the ILS frequency under NAV1
  • Make sure on the PFD the Preset is VOR1 or LOC1
  • As soon as you see LOC1 in the Preset and you have enough time on this heading to do the job, push the Heading Selector on the AP. Adjust if needed for crosswind.
  • Select Heading ON on the AP
  • Push the Preset on the PFD
  • Now you can dial in the VHF Nav1 Course with the CRS1 selector (push will give you the direct course, then fine tune it)
  • Push the Preset again to connect the FMS again. Although mouse-over the NAV button on teh AP tells you that NAV is ON, it is NOT. Click it OFF, check if HDG is OFF (if not set it to OFF), and click NAV ON.
  • You are now on the ILS but...... you must be below the GS and (almost) on course. Otherwise the AP will not fly the approach and you can do it yourself (which is more fun, actually)

If anyone has a better way, please let us know. Together we'll get the darn thing fly the way it should. :smile: 

Dirk 

PC: Core i7-7700K @ 4.8 GHz; MSI Z270 Gaming Pro; 16 GB; Hydro H60 Cooler; MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ; 2 * SSD; 2 * HDD; 32"  monitor; Prepar3D v4.4, ORBX Global, -Vector, -Europe, -Can/N-US, Chaseplane. Notebook: AS4-ASCA, AivlaSoft EFB v.2, 

As soon as you see LOC1 in the Preset

I found out yesterday, That it is not needed to have the LOC1 in the Preset. It can be done any time, as long as you know what RWY (ILS Freq.+CRS) it will be.

Adjust if needed for crosswind.
That was a mistake. If you push the Heading Selector you are on the heading corrected for crosswind.

PC: Core i7-7700K @ 4.8 GHz; MSI Z270 Gaming Pro; 16 GB; Hydro H60 Cooler; MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ; 2 * SSD; 2 * HDD; 32"  monitor; Prepar3D v4.4, ORBX Global, -Vector, -Europe, -Can/N-US, Chaseplane. Notebook: AS4-ASCA, AivlaSoft EFB v.2, 

Dirk, it will take at this point a massive re-coding to make it work as it should. In the real PL21, after I have loaded the ILS in the FMS, within 30nm of the arrival airport my NAV1 will autotune to the freq, "ghost" localizer needles with approach course already selected will be shown as I continue to drive in on FMS (NAV) lateral mode (NAV2NAV) or maybe heading if on vectors. Cleared for the approach and within 90 degrees, I hit APPR and the FGP takes care of everything. In this rendition, more work is required.

a massive re-coding

Indeed. I am still in the process to figure out why the darn thing does not do what it's supposed to do. When I fly the RealAir Turbine Duke it does not matter if I'm on the autopilot NAV or HDG or even descending with a dialed in VS to a dialed in ALT. When I hit the APPR button the AP will take over and switch to APPR-mode automaticly as soon as criteria are met, weather it be ALT and or LOC CRS.

THIS IS HOW IT MUST WORK!

Since Carenado is not very famous on bringing out Hotfixes or Service Packs, I don't think they will ever do that. So we have to find out how exactly we have to use it. On my ticket on the Weather Radar for P3Dv3.n they said 'it will come one day' without a timestamp on it. That's why I use AS16's WXR.

Dirk