Sign in to follow this  
Tight Git

MCE "Preparing to install"

Good evening,

After using MCE for a couple of years with little trouble, it's suddenly refusing to start !

Having started FSX, selecting the various options and "Fly Now", when I try to start MCE, I get the message "Preparing to install".

It then goes on to say it hasn't found the program.

I've uninstalled and then reinstalled it but to no avail.

Please help me regain my favourite add-on!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Good evening,

After using MCE for a couple of years with little trouble, it's suddenly refusing to start !

Having started FSX, selecting the various options and "Fly Now", when I try to start MCE, I get the message "Preparing to install".

It then goes on to say it hasn't found the program.

I've uninstalled and then reinstalled it but to no avail.

Please help me regain my favourite add-on!

Just guessing, as this isn't our installer message. We use Microsoft Installer technology, and it's pretty good at adding Windows software to Err...Windows. :smile:

From experience...

Either, the unzipping utility you used to unzip the downloaded file didn't do its job, or the downloaded file itself is corrupted, and need to redownload.

When you download, do NOT select Open, rather selct "Save" and download the file somewhere on your computer.

When done downloading, go to the zip file (mce.zip) location, right-click and select "Extract all" in drop-down menu. I mean don't use Winzip, 7zip or other unzipping utility.

Assuming the file unzipped without errors, it could be that you're running out of space on C:\ drive.

How much free space do you have on C: and what's the installed amount of RAM (memory sticks, 4 GB, 8 GB or 16 GB)

Hello Gerald,

This suddenly happened, without me changing anything.

I've done a bit of investigating and the usual MCE icon in the start menu that I normally use has lost its target, in fact it's greyed out so I can't insert one.

As an experiment, I've created my own desktop shortcut to mce.exe and then everything works perfectly.

Not sure what's going on here...

(Plenty of C drive space and 16GB RAM)