Sign in to follow this  
kenny584

Aircraft default location.

Hi Folks.

As some of you will know, I have been having a few problems with the 300 in the boxed Deluxe version of FSX. I installed it into FSX-SE and it worked fine. This led me to think there was a problem with my FSX, however a friend from another Forum suggested I try installing FSX into a new folder away from Program Files (x86). I made a new folder simply called FSX into the main C:\ drive root folder. Installed FSX into it, installed the 300 and it works great. I installed the Navigraph Extension pack and updated to the latest Airac cycle and it works just fine. My friend told me that WIN 10 has a lot of new security settings that interfere with FSX in the Program Files (x86) folder.

So this new installation location has cured all of my problems with the 300 in FSX boxed. I have SP1 and 2 installed also. Perhaps it could be worth a try for others who are having problems.

Regards...Kenny

Hi,

Interesting (and gratifying) to me to hear of your success when FSX was installed in the root directory instead of program files (x86). I had done some research before I installed my boxed FSX and chose to do it in the root directory and, so far, it's worked perfectly. Now to completely betray my ignorance of all things computer:

I'm thinking of trying an aftermarket C172, either the A2A or Realair, but am not sure about where to direct the download. Is this a non-question, i.e., will it automatically find its correct place relative to FSX, or do I need to be sure it goes to the root directory, or....?

(I know just enough to ask embarrassing questions). Thanks, Andy

The add on aircraft installation will almost certainly find the correct location in your FSX folder. If not then it will ask where to install it. If this happens just direct it to your dedicated FSX folder.

It was first recommended many years ago, even before Win7 appeared, to create a new installation folder for FSX and never to install it in program files.

John B

Hi VintAge111,

When I first installed the boxed edition of FSX onto my new computer with Win7 64bit it I did so in Program Files (x86). Every time I wanted to install an addon it drove me nuts dealing with the built in security (UAC?). Then I had to do a fresh re-install of FSX and at that time I read about other simmers who installed FSX in the "Root Directory". I followed their advice and never have had a problem installing an addon (aircraft or scenery). In most cases about 98% of the time third party installers find the root directory for FSX. In those few cases I have had to direct the installer to the root directory "address". You should not have any problems just as the previous poster noted. 

Raymie

Spokane Valley, WA

John B., Raymie,

Thanks both for your replies. Feeling better about downloading a new 172 now! We'll see how it goes. Thanks again,

Andy