Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

X-Plane 11: Epic Victory LSGG to EDDK, ...wow! ;-)

Guest Mik75

Thanks for commenting guys! ;-)

I am really looking forward to the release of XEnviro!

The price may be a bit steep, but if you buy FSGRW, RWC and SMP, you'll pay the same.

And, the pics look as if this piece of software could be a real game changer!

I probably won't buy SMP v4, if it should release before xEnviro, because of what I've seen so far.

Clouds have a black hue at twilight in real life in many cases.

XP's clouds are bad for a bunch of other reasons, but being black at twilight isn't one of them.

http://www.tourstogo.com.au/images/photos/zoomed/53d16aae.jpg

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Travel/gty_airplane_dusk_jc_150508_16x9_992.jpg

http://s7.favim.com/orig/150228/above-airplane-beautiful-bright-Favim.com-2519787.jpg

The big issue with XP's clouds are draw distance and lack of definition/shape. The way they simulate overcast and going into zero vis is also really weird. I hope they work on those things.

• Upvote 1

The big issue with XP's clouds are draw distance and lack of definition/shape. The way they simulate overcast and going into zero vis is also really weird. I hope they work on those things.

X-Enviro seems to solve those issues: looks pretty awesome to me. A lot better than what I've seen from SMP which looks like utter crap in comparison (based on screenshots only btw). Unfortunately the price of X-Enviro is very high... a bit TOO high if you are just fooling around with XP a bit to see where it is going. 

Guest Mik75

Thanks for your comments, guys!

Glad you enjoy my screenies! ;-)

xEnviro will be a must have for me, I'll get it as soon as they release it, that's for sure!

But, has anybody seen these effects when flying through dense coulds with a properly lit a/c, especially at dusk or dawn? That is so immersive and real!

Clouds have a black hue at twilight in real life in many cases.

XP's clouds are bad for a bunch of other reasons, but being black at twilight isn't one of them.

http://www.tourstogo.com.au/images/photos/zoomed/53d16aae.jpg

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Travel/gty_airplane_dusk_jc_150508_16x9_992.jpg

http://s7.favim.com/orig/150228/above-airplane-beautiful-bright-Favim.com-2519787.jpg

Fully agree with you on all these points!

Flying through clouds with your landing lights on reflected on the them is my best experience with X Plane. It looks as if you are going to crash agains those clouds then suddenly you fly below them and have the airport in sight. Yeah from a distance they look horrible. Fix the weather and we have a perfect flight sim.

But, has anybody seen these effects when flying through dense coulds with a properly lit a/c, especially at dusk or dawn?

I've seen a video of X-Enviro and what really got me excited was the speed at which you fly through the clouds! In P3D (and FSX) the clouds move by in slow motion, probably due to how the clouds are being build in those sims. It always felt wrong. But this looked sooooo real!

Guest Mik75

I've seen a video of X-Enviro and what really got me excited was the speed at which you fly through the clouds! In P3D (and FSX) the clouds move by in slow motion, probably due to how the clouds are being build in those sims. It always felt wrong. But this looked sooooo real!

This works in default X-Plane clouds just as good!

Other than the sprites in FSX/P3D, clouds in XP are dynamic 3D objects, hence the realistic lighting effects are possible. You really get a sense of speed and the sensation of flight if you fly into, through and out of these clouds! Give it a try! ;-)

That's just one more example of how planes interact with the environment so much more realistically and dynamically than in any other civilian sim platform.

Give it a try! ;-)

I did and fps went down the drain.  :wink: Didn't know clouds were real 3D in XP. I always hated those floating sprites. I suppose it's easier to create good looking skies with sprites than it is with real 3D: maybe the reason why XP is lagging behind here (when it comes to how things look from a distance)?

Guest Mik75

I did and fps went down the drain. :wink: Didn't know clouds were real 3D in XP. I always hated those floating sprites. I suppose it's easier to create good looking skies with sprites than it is with real 3D: maybe the reason why XP is lagging behind here (when it comes to how things look from a distance)?

That's a bit strange. I'm running XP11 with an old GTX670 with only 2GB VRAM at the moment, and it is very smooth. I have reflections set to minimum and texture resolution to medium, and the overall look is still extremely nice!

When flying through clouds with the Aerobask Epic Victory, I can see only a minor drop in FPS.

xEnviro will be a game changer, I am pretty sure about that!

And yes, X-Plane has a lot to offer under the hood. But especially people who come from ESP sims always nag about the missing seasonal textures and the usual stuff.

But, have you ever went down in P3D because you forgot to turn on your anti ice in icing conditions and flying through it built up so much ice on your wings that airflow cut off?

Please be honest when answering this! ;-)

The whole X-Plane world is extremely dynamic.

And yes, X-Plane has a lot to offer under the hood. But especially people who come from ESP sims always nag about the missing seasonal textures and the usual stuff.
But, have you ever went down in P3D because you forgot to turn on your anti ice in icing conditions and flying through it built up so much ice on your wings that airflow cut off?
Please be honest when answering this! ;-)

You won't hear me about seasonal textures because I usually fly with summer (or spring) set as season and historical ASN weather.  :wink: Although I have to add that this year, for the first time, I kept on flying with current time, day and weather after summer... but anyway, I don't have a huge problem with the lack of seasons.

And no I can't remember having gone down due to icing. I occasionally have to flick the probe or carb heat but that's about it.  :wink: