Sign in to follow this  
flhx_ridr

Windows 10 install question

Question for the technical savvy...

I am considering doing a clean install of Windows 10 to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit and was wondering if I will lose my FSX/FS9 installations that I have on a secondary hard drive? In other words, I have flight sim installed on my D: drive while my system boots from the C: drive.

Thanks.

Michael Hutton

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB | MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | WD Blue SN580 M.2 2TB | Samsung SSD 990 Pro 2TB x 2 | Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB | NZXT C1200 1200W PSU | NZXT H9 Elite Mid-Tower | Windows 11 Pro 64-bit | Allegiant Virtual Airlines

Hi...

Win10 was a nightmare for me with FS9 - bunch of planes stopped working - Coolsky MD80 for one - RXP Gauges maybe ? -  many of the Flight1 wrappers would not run - Dreamfleet seemed especially hard hit... Flight1 seemed to update a few but not sure how far they progressed - finally - about a year and a half ago - I just gave up and moved to P3D... Best of luck...

Specifically - in regards to your question - yeah - you probably will have to reinstall many of the programs - I did the "upgrade" to Win 10 - struggled with constant problems for 3 or 4 months - then wiped the OS and did the full clean install of Win10 - fixed many issues but not the ones mentioned in paragraph one...

Regards,
Scott   

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Never a days problem with my 3x installs of FS9 and my P3D. All run as Admin, with UAC turned down.

But, I went from Windows 7 64bit to Windows 10 64bit. Dunno if you may get issues.

Worth a try anyway. You just might have to reload your payware stuff.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I am considering doing a clean install of Windows 10 to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit and was wondering if I will lose my FSX/FS9 installations that I have on a secondary hard drive? In other words, I have flight sim installed on my D: drive while my system boots from the C: drive.

When performing a clean install, you will be wiping out the registry entries, user folder AppData files and configurations, certain DLLs and other elements of any and all existing installations on your PC and starting fresh. With that in mind, you probably won't lose any of your files on the D: drive, but all of the programs (FS2004, FSX, and addons) will essentially have lost their minds and become dumb files.

So yes - you will need to re-install and re-configure pretty much everything.

Have good backups, have your software installation files and media handy, and block out some time. A clean system is a bit of work, but it's also a nice exercise to help clear some cobwebs.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

I was afraid of that :Frustrated:...thanks for the heads up.

Michael Hutton

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB | MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | WD Blue SN580 M.2 2TB | Samsung SSD 990 Pro 2TB x 2 | Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB | NZXT C1200 1200W PSU | NZXT H9 Elite Mid-Tower | Windows 11 Pro 64-bit | Allegiant Virtual Airlines