Sign in to follow this  
adyfoot

Networking P3D for Add-Ons

Hi everyone,

I spotted a thread somewhere a week or so back about using a second computer to run P3D add-ons such as Active Sky.  But I can't seem to find anything to suggest how it works and how you set it up.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Ady

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi everyone,

I spotted a thread somewhere a week or so back about using a second computer to run P3D add-ons such as Active Sky.  But I can't seem to find anything to suggest how it works and how you set it up.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Ady

yes Ady, I totally agree with you; it's been something that's interested me for years… But I cannot, at this point, really say, nor have I read that the practice significantly improves… "Frame rates".

Chas

It depends on the add-on.  A CPU-intensive add-on like Active Sky moved over to a second PC takes the processor load off the sim machine, and can improve frame rates and/or smoothness.

In the case of Active Sky, HiFiSim has included good detailed instructions on networked operations in their docs.  It basically entails setting up a couple config files on the machines, setting up and configuring the program for the necessary network shares, and you're up and running.  Not hard at all.

For a number of add-ons that use FSUIPC to interface with the sim, you can use WideFS...you run WideClient on one or more networked PCs and the add-on running on the client machine(s) interfaces to the sim using FSUIPC via the network.  Add ons like Radar Contact, PF3, Quantum Leap, and Air Traffic Manager use that method.  You'll need to set the appropriate config options in both the FSUIPC.ini file (on the main FS machine, aka the "server") and WideClient.ini file on the second machine(s) (aka the "client").  You start WideClient to set up the network bridge, then start the add-ons that use it.  Good documentation in the FSUIPC/WideFS documentation.  (Note: WideFS is a payware addition to the registered (payware) version of FSUIPC--you need both to use WideFS).

Regards