Sign in to follow this  
alpicat

X-Plane 11 - AI Crosswind landings and takeoffs

Thanks so much everyone for your very kind comments!

@odourboy: I didn't use X-Camera - only the included free-movement camera which I think you select by pressing "c" and you can then move the camera anywhere.

xcamera looks very useful though, I'll try it - thanks for the tutorial Carlos. I had trouble finding the AI aircraft options initially as well, thanks for the explanation Peter! The AI does sort of follow a flight plan I think. In the sim, if you bring up the map by pressing "m" it shows you the AI planes' flight paths so you can guess where they're going and where they'll land, which helps a lot. You can add and remove aircraft in the "other aircraft options" section - changing the model and liveries as required, so you can get rid of GA aircraft if you don't want them.

For this video I didn't get the chance to try addons as I'd only just bought the sim. I recorded the footage with Nvidia shadowplay, then edited the video clips on Davinci resolve which is a free editing program. 

@Jean-Jacques: I agree, XP seems to have some powerful flight physics - I'd seen the following youtube video featuring crosswind landings on XP10 which looked impressive to me:
  ... and I wanted to try something similar on XP11.  

@MarkW: for sure this isn't what you'd see from a cockpit :) I'll include cockpit views in future videos though. I'm fairly close to London city airport and some of the views in this video is approximately what it looks like in real life when you're at the riverside and see the planes coming in to land. I guess I tried to recreate that here.

In those videos you can clearly see in what X-Plane is different from p3d and fsx, real flight dynamics where fluids (air) is really simulated x-plane in this aspect is unbeatable....

In those videos you can clearly see in what X-Plane is different from p3d and fsx, real flight dynamics where fluids (air) is really simulated x-plane in this aspect is unbeatable....

And the wake turbulence fun that comes with it if you join the sequence ;)