Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

SID/STAR Flight Planning and Clearances in the USA

I was hoping someone can either educate me, or confirm that I didn't learn a few things incorrectly.  I'm trying out new ATC programs and am on Pro-ATC/x.  This developer does not let you "file" a SID/STAR with your FP and you get one assigned with your clearance delivery.  So in essence, you filed flight plan starts and ends at a transition point with nothing else (i.e. DFW to MEM would be filed as FORCK..ELD).

My understanding is that this is very prototypical for Europe.  I don't fly there in the sim as frequently, but from what I have experience there is often only one valid SID for a given transition and runway.

However, my understanding is that in the USA, at least the SID, and maybe the STAR are typically filed with the flight plan (i.e. DFW to MEM would be filed as FORCK2.FORCK..ELD.HORBRK2).  Of course, clearance delivery could amend your FP with a new SID or STAR, but you'd at least file this way and typically get cleared to fly this route.

So, any feedback on my understanding?  I typically try to fly short NGX/Dash 8 routes that are flown nearly 100% on single set routes (SFO to LAX, LAS to LAX, etc), and sometimes as set as TEC's.  I'm trying to get ATC programs to emulate this routing and real life as well as possible. 

Eric Szczesniak

Yes, in the USA, you can file the sid and star. Atc may change any part of your filed plan, but if there is no reason to change it, you get what you filed.

Yes, in the USA, you can file the sid and star.

As Kevin stated. The reason is that SIDs and STARs are based on Direction, rather than being based on the Runway and departure/arrival gate (waypoint). Since they are based on direction, you'll know what the STAR is before you start your flight and can (should) include the SID/STAR in your clearnce.

I hope that explanation is helpful to you!

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.