Sign in to follow this  
zkline

Avoiding the VoxATC panel?

Hi All,

I used to have VoxATC back in my previous flight-sim phase, ca. 2009. Back then I don't remember having to deal with  the panel, though given how little I remember about that time in general it's possible I did.

At any rate, I don't know of a way to  initialize Vox now without mouse clicks. My screen reader can't read anything in any aircraft panel, as far as I'm aware.

Is it possible to set up a keyboard shortcut to do this, or am I SOL?

I'm not sure if this is answering your question, but you can initiate the panel with mouse clicks, there is a joystick setup utility you can use to hide the panel and it runs in the background. You can here ATC, respond to them, but have to memorize your read backs (More like real life).

Even more challenging is Expert mode. Then you also have the latitude to change the wording of your requests to ATC (within regulatory limits). The drawback is that it increases the number of "Last aircraft say again" responses.

Even more challenging is Expert mode. Then you also have the latitude to change the wording of your requests to ATC (within regulatory limits). The drawback is that it increases the number of "Last aircraft say again" responses.

Hi,

Is this apply with the 6.52 version also ?

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

http://www.avsim.com/topic/454702-voxatc-expert-mode/

Yes it's there under the advanced settings in V6. No First Officer is available when expert mode is active.

Hi,

Thank you, I knew that. In fact my question was relative to the sentence : "you also have the latitude to change the wording of your requests to ATC (within regulatory limits)" I did not know this particularity.

I had the impression that in Vox 6.52 the words, the sentences must be pronounced in one and the same order in contrast to Mce for example which allows to have a greater variety of vocabulary and sentences.

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I can't answer your question because I can't really tell the difference in Expert Mode between V6 and the V7 beta. The recognition error rate disguises what's happening, but that may be a problem with either my voice training or my system. I try to do a little experimentation with the mode each day but most of the time it's like telling a three year old to eat his vegetables.

I can't answer your question because I can't really tell the difference in Expert Mode between V6 and the V7 beta. The recognition error rate disguises what's happening, but that may be a problem with either my voice training or my system. I try to do a little experimentation with the mode each day but most of the time it's like telling a three year old to eat his vegetables.

In fact in 6.52 the big problem for me is my clearance acknowledgement. Whatever I say and how I pronounce, the program answers me "say again" almost everytime. After that Vox seems to understand me correctly. Anyway, thank you.

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

My suggestion is that most of the speech recognition mistakes have very little to do with VOXATC itself. The speech recognition in Windows 7,8 and 10 is actually quite good, but  it is surprisingly a lot better with phrases that conform to standard grammar, than it is with individual words. Unfortunately, most ICAO lingo doesn't conform to standard grammar, which is why VOXATC has the flight plan trainer app. That app culls key phrases from a flight plan and uses the built-in Windows speech trainer to add words and phrases from the flight plan to your SR dictionary. My experience is that one can do even better than that by using the Windows SR app and adding individual words and phrases to the SR dictionary. While you're doing that, open Notepad and test each phrase and word as you go along.

A bigger issue is the quality of the hardware being used. Both the sound card and the microphone have a major impact on how well the Windows SR works. I tested 3 microphones before I found one that produced a good result given my speaking voice.