Sign in to follow this  
rafikihd

Sound and FPS

Hi Guys,

I´ve been experiencing some issues on my FS9, turns out that while doing some experiments on FS I figured out that everytime I disable the sound directly on FS (By pressing "Q") I, all of a sudden, get a big FPS boost of about >10 FPS or so. Unfortunately its no fun to fly without the sound. I do have a sound card, which, I really dont use because I use one of those Logitech USB Wireless headset. Searching on google I saw that I should disable my sound card so that the CPU dont use it and dont consume any more FPS or decrease my performance, although Im no expert and I dont exactly know how to disable the sound card.

Is it true that if I disable the sound card the Boost will be there even when the sound is on? And if so, How can I disable it?

Thank you very much in advance guys,

and Happy New Year,

Best Regards.

SIM: P3DV5.3 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz GPU: GTX1060 6GB  OS: Windows 10 64Bits RAM: XPG DDR3 1600 16GB (2x 8GB) Display: Samsung LC27JG50QQLXZX 27´

This is correct for FS9 and FSX, it the manner in which MS programmed sound.  I'm not sure about FS9, but back in the day many of us changed (reduced) the Sound LOD settings in the CFG file to increase our frame rates.

At least some sound cards had a negative impact on FSX, but that's taking me back quite a few years and I just don't recall the particulars - though it might have been bus bandwidth issue (processing a lot of data on the PCI bus) that resulted in slowing down FSX.  I just don't recall.

If you don't absolutely have to use a sound card, I'd recommend at least disabling it and giving things a try.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Dave, not correct. Only FSX has LOD setting in CFG, and this is the FS2004 forum, so reference to FSX is futile.

Rafikihd, probably try to disable the onboard one, but I remember from using a same sort of setup in the past didn't brought issues.

However, you might just try it out. (See device manager in your windows, and go from there).

It is more likely a sound card problem. Especially if you use an on-board set-up. I have a Creative Audigy of 12 years vintage and I don't have any frame rate problems related to the sound card and sound.cfg. What you will get though is any sound that is triggered by an xml gauge will momentarily stop if you change panels.

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the responses and Advices.

Apparently my onboard Audio Sound Card seems to be already disabled I checked on the BIOS and the device manager. But the problem persists.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Best Regards

SIM: P3DV5.3 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz GPU: GTX1060 6GB  OS: Windows 10 64Bits RAM: XPG DDR3 1600 16GB (2x 8GB) Display: Samsung LC27JG50QQLXZX 27´