Sign in to follow this  
Stearman

FSX freezes randomly

Hi, I know this has been discussed extensively over the years, but as a newcomer to FSX, I'd much appreciate if you let me know what's the latest word on it.

I'm using FSX Acceleration under Windows 7 64bit, and no matter what I do, it eventually freezes after a random period of time (between 1 and 30 minutes or so). When it does, sound keeps sounding, but I can't do anything other than shutting off the software from Windows Task Manager.

I've tried everything I've read in forums around: running FSX as Administrator, also in Windows XP compatibility mode, placing the UIAutomationCore.dll from Windows Vista in FSX root folder, etc. but all has been to no avail.

So this might well be my last plea for help before giving up once and for all.

Thanks in advance.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Laptop or PC? CPU speed? Amount of RAM? All sliders maxed, including AI, weather,traffic?

Any payware aircraft or scenery? You are lacking a lot of important info in your post.

Delete or rename your fsx.cfg and restart FSX and let the config rebuild.  A bad tweak will cause your fsx to freeze up.  There are so many possibilities and YOU have to investigate it yourself.  There is no one solution that fixes freezes.  You need to submit a Event Viewer report.

See the AVSIM CTD Guide, link in my signature, for further information on how others have fixed freezes in the last section of the guide.

Best regards,

Jim

Laptop or PC? CPU speed? Amount of RAM? All sliders maxed, including AI, weather,traffic?

Any payware aircraft or scenery? You are lacking a lot of important info in your post.

PC Intel Core i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 8Gb RAM.

All sliders at Ultra-High setting (NOT all maxed), goal FPS 30.

Freezes happen all the same with any default or payware aircarft/scenery.

BTW, FS9 runs perfect (all maxed) on same system...

Delete or rename your fsx.cfg and restart FSX and let the config rebuild.  A bad tweak will cause your fsx to freeze up.  There are so many possibilities and YOU have to investigate it yourself.  There is no one solution that fixes freezes.  You need to submit a Event Viewer report.

See the AVSIM CTD Guide, link in my signature, for further information on how others have fixed freezes in the last section of the guide.

Best regards,

Jim

OK, got the Guide, will investigate a bit.

(Maybe I will submit an event report later...)

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Jim

That Avsim CTD Guide is a treasure of information, and I will definitely keep it for future reference.

However, the only solution working for me turned out to be: "properly updating Windows 7".

Once I allowed all pending Windows 7 updates to come in (something I don't always do), FSX started working like a charm. Not a single crash since!!

(Just in case it may be useful).

Thanks & best regards,

Glad you were able to find a fix (and thanks for the nice comments about the guide).

Best regards,

Jim