Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

The new GSX refueling procedure

MCE basically works with the new GSX refueling procedure but there might be room for improvement.

This is the procedure I follow with the new GSX refueling on the Aerosoft Airbuses (Other Aircraft might be different):

1. Before requesting refueling make sure the tanks are empty resp. only filled with the rest from the previous flight.

2. Request refueling (works with MCE)

3. When the fuel truck arrives, the green text bar comes up saying "fuel truck in position". I assume at this point GSX reads the intial fuel amount in the tanks.

4. Shortly after that the green text bar comes up again saying "use the refueling system of your aircraft to refuel". Then start the refueling on the Right MCDU by entering the amount of fuel that should be onboard after refueling and then push "load fuel" (not "instant load" - that would end the refueling process immediately). That way the refueling starts at the pace controlled by the Aerosoft Airbus which gives a reasonable refueling time. When the refueling is started on the Right MCDU before that second green text bar message comes up, I got erratic behaviour of GSX.

5. When the requested amount of fuel is onboard GSX stops the refueling and MCE correctly announces "the required amount on fuel is on board."

Where MCE is not spot on is between 3. and 4.:

MCE announces "Refueling is in progress" already when the fuel truck arrives. Which is not correct because GSX waits for the user to start the refueling via the aircraft system. And it only should be started after the second green bar message ("use the refueling system of your aircraft to refuel"). MCE does not react to that second message at all.

So an improvement might be: When the fuel truck arrives MCE should say something like "fuel truck arrived - standby". Then when GSX requests the user to use the refueling system of the aircraft MCE should say something accordingly. Or even better: Automatically start the refueling process on the Right MCDU of the Airbus - don't know if that is possible.

Thanks for looking at it again.

Ralf

• Upvote 1

"use the refueling system of your aircraft to refuel"

This is a new GSX notification MCE wasn't aware of. Once it does, should work better.

At least as far as timing is concerned. Still unsure how to proceed next.

The various mechanic voice packs published so far already have the ability to query the required fuel quantity. But we aren't using it because it expects fuel in tons and may not work across the range of supported aircraft. Not to mention, user being caught off guard, not knowing exactly what fuel Q is required for the trip. We'll see, maybe for some airplanes.

In any case, GSX handles the refueling beautifully and MCE doesn't need to fiddle with that, other than maybe input the fuel figure in FMC CDU.

The various mechanic voice packs published so far already have the ability to query the required fuel quantity. But we aren't using it because it expects fuel in tons and may not work across the range of supported aircraft. Not to mention, user being caught off guard, not knowing exactly what fuel Q is required for the trip. We'll see, maybe for some airplanes.

That would be a very nice addition!

I think it would work well in the Aerosoft Airbus, because it displays the fuel amount in kg / tons and with the "init loadsheet" option in the right MCDU it displays the required amount of fuel (the remaining fuel in the tanks has to be subtracted probably) - if the "Aerosoft Airbus X Fuel Planner" was used in preparation.

Regards

Ralf

Don't forget we can ask our FO to state what fuel quantity is aboard. He/she gives it in pounds/tons and pretty accurately too:-)

Incidentally, if you use PFPX to flight/fuel plan, you can switch from Kg to Lbs if you want to. I am fiddling with this at the moment trying to test the trip fuel figures for various aircraft.

Cheers.

David

Thanks for the new version!

Using the Aerosoft Airbus I still have issues with the refueling process.

The mechanic now asks for the required amount of fuel when the fuel truck arrives. He confirms what I said. But it has no further effect. Neither is the fuel amount altered on the right MCDU nor is the refueling starting. When I manually start the refueling on the right MCDU I receive the amount entered there not the amount I announced to the mechanic.

I guess that is to be expected, since you said it is only implement for PMDG so far. Would be nice if you could add some more functionality for the Aerosoft Airbus too. MCE already handles doors and ground equipment on the right MCDU so I assume basically it should be possible - at least to start the refueling process with the manually entered fuel amount.

But what really seems to be a bug is that everytime the refueling stops when the set fuel amount is on board (GSX disconnecting the hoses) MCE says "the refueling has started". When the fuel truck leaves a few moments later MCE correctly announces "the required fuel should be on board". When the refuelling actually had started - after pressing the "load fuel" button on the right MCDU - MCE stayed silent.

Tested that a few times with the same result every time.

Regards

Ralf

Thanks for the new version!

Using the Aerosoft Airbus I still have issues with the refueling process.

The mechanic now asks for the required amount of fuel when the fuel truck arrives. He confirms what I said. But it has no further effect. Neither is the fuel amount altered on the right MCDU nor is the refueling starting. When I manually start the refueling on the right MCDU I receive the amount entered there not the amount I announced to the mechanic.

I guess that is to be expected, since you said it is only implement for PMDG so far. Would be nice if you could add some more functionality for the Aerosoft Airbus too. MCE already handles doors and ground equipment on the right MCDU so I assume basically it should be possible - at least to start the refueling process with the manually entered fuel amount.

But what really seems to be a bug is that everytime the refueling stops when the set fuel amount is on board (GSX disconnecting the hoses) MCE says "the refueling has started". When the fuel truck leaves a few moments later MCE correctly announces "the required fuel should be on board". When the refuelling actually had started - after pressing the "load fuel" button on the right MCDU - MCE stayed silent.

Tested that a few times with the same result every time.

Regards

Ralf

We'll get the new GSX fueling feature to cover Aerosoft and maybe a couple of other aircraft this week.