Sign in to follow this  
sloppysmusic

Flying in Papua New Guinea all goes horribly wrong....

My joyful exploration of OrbX Papua New Guinea scenery goes sour when AS2016 starts to inject some really awful live weather..

First clip is at 14000 in the RealAir Duke Turbine. I fly through a lightning cloud and BANG partial instrument failures. All radios/GPS non-functional and planes engine instruments all lock up.

FSX had NOT crashed though and the plane was still 'manageable'.

I started streaming on Twitch at this this point as I thought it might get 'interesting'.

After finding my way through the storm, landing at "The World's Most Boring FSX Default Aiport' I continued to a bigger airport (offline) and loaded up the PMDG 737-600 for what I believed would

be a less stressful leg to my final destination. How wrong i was to be..

Apologies and disclaimers first:

1) Quality of next clip, even though recorded at same Twitch settings as the above reasonable one is 'potato' camera level. If it wasn't for keeping a record of this stressful 'flight' i would have deleted it already. The previous Duke clip also looked like this at first but seemed to come alive later, so if this one improves I will repost. Watch it on a phone and you should be ok!

2) Bad language, lots of it and often. I can only say that what I was seeing my end, with OrbX/PMDG737/AS 2016 running over 20fps mostly on a 55 inch 4k tv with 2x 1080p side monitors, I was 'there'. One of those sim moments when you forget you are at a warm cozy desktop with beer freely available and 'become' the desperate but determined aviator trying to overcome all obstacles.

These 2 clips are taken from a 5 hour long ordeal flying through terrible weather, so when you hear my 'colorful' screams at the end please have sympathy for my condition!

Clip contains:

Multiple aborted landings, not helped by FSX crash detection which doesn't allow for the fact that in extreme weather 'hard' landings are actually common with airliners to make them stick to the runway and land safely. Tires are replaceable, people are not. 

Diversions to TWO other airports (fuel running very low).

All manual approaches as no charts or procedures available for any of the destinations (I would have died to have seen an ILS on the arrivals page in this weather)

Eventual fuel starvation on base turn after go around (AFTER I had stated loudly that I would have only one shot at this landing due to low fuel level)

An incredible ending (hyperbole justified for once?).

I think i will go away and read my PMDG FOMs again as I can be seen having problems getting the plane to descend and climb at times, forgetting the 1 MCP mistake. 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK