Sign in to follow this  
twharrell

Very strange startup screen behavior

This is a strange issue that has suddenly reared it's head today. Whenever I start P3D, the startup screen has horrible lag issues. The drop down boxes for profile and date/season/time won't open (or they open after a very long lag). Whenever I open the "select aircraft menu" I can't scroll through my aircraft as there is also a huge lag. Basically my P3D startup screen and aircraft menu are unusable. I can load a saved flight and if I do that everything works fine. I am racking my brain over what could have possibly caused this and I am at a loss. Any help or insight is very much appreciated.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Have you tried a repair install of the Client? Installed any new a/c recently?

Vic

Ah, yes I've been going though the same thing for the past 3 weeks ever since I upgraded to the latest 3.4 hotfix and to the latest Nvidia drivers.  I have tried to repair install client and backtrack to the previous drivers with no success.  I do however have a temporary solution that has worked for me. 

When I start my computer and run P3D, I am aware that I will encounter terrible lag which also flashes lightly however when the splash screen appears and I see the default aircraft rotating, at this point I exit out of P3D and re-start my PC.

I then go back into P3d and everything runs as normal.  You can run a short haul or long haul flight without any issues!!!

The really odd thing is that I can then turn my PC off for 10 hours and go back (within the same day), everything will continue to work as normal however, If i turn my PC off before midnight and go back several hours later (officially it will be into the next day) the problem re-appears.

I hope this helps.

I think I found the source of my problem. In NVIDIA Inspector I had the frame rate limiter locked at 30.5. When I turned the frame rate limiter off, the problem was fixed. Just to be certain, I reset the NI frame limiter back to 30.5, restarted P3D, and the problem returned.

I'm not sure why the NI frame rate limiter would impact the startup screen, but if anyone else has this issue, NI frame limiter could be the culprit.