Sign in to follow this  
windypeg

My shiny bits are turning yuk gray

Hello everyone

I'm hoping that someone has seen or encountered this problem and knows what I'm doing wrong.  I'm a newby at painting aircraft so please be patience with me.

This is what I am doing...

1 Open .dds file with DXTBmp V4.00.97 and save as 24bit .bmp file

2 Open 24bit bmp with Photoshop and make the changes I would like to see.

3 Flatten and save as 24bit .bmp file.

4 Open 24bit .bmp file with DXTBmp V4.00.97 and save as .dds file type DDS DXT5. (I've used every file type 1,3 and 5)

Then this happens...

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/real_life_husband/media/Chrome%20after%20paint.jpg.html?o=0

Of course it should be nice and shiny like this...

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/real_life_husband/Chrome%20before%20paint.jpg?1485046861453

Any help showing what step I'm missing so that the shiny parts stay shiny would be of much appreciation.

Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello everyone

I'm hoping that someone has seen or encountered this problem and knows what I'm doing wrong.  I'm a newby at painting aircraft so please be patience with me.

This is what I am doing...

You dont save it as this (Open .dds file with DXTBmp V4.00.97 and save as 24bit .bmp file)

What you do is open the dds file and send it to photoshop make your changes - flatten it - save it - then refresh it in dxtbmp - save it back out as the original file format which is dds - your working to hard  

Hello Donor

I followed your advice by not changing it in DXTBmp first.  Just opened the dds file in DXTBmp, sent it to Photoshop, made my changes, flatten it, save it in Photoshop (it got saved as a 24bit bmp)

Opened the bmp in DXTBmp... I'm not sure what you meant by refresh it other than click on refresh Alpha under the Alpha tag which I did.  Then saved it as a dds using DXT5 format and ended up with the same problem. :sad:

Probably you lost your alpha-layer during the process

When you open a file in DXTbmp you see the texture in the big window of DXTBmp and the alpha in the small window.

When you export the texture to a painting program to edit you must NOT close DXTBmp the program must stay active

When you re-load the edited texture in DXTBmp and save the texture to DDS the alpha layer will be present in the new DDS too automaticly

So you do not open the BMP in DXTBmp you just re-load it in the DXTBmp wich is still active.

BUT when you export the texture and close DXTBmp and then you re-open DXTBmp and open  the BMP  texture there will be no alpha layer saved. in your DDS.

Hello Leen

You where correct.  The alpha channel was gone.  Being a newby at painting I never even noticed that the alpha channel had been dropped.  My fault...  every time I moved the image from DXTBmp to Photoshop I closed the DXTBmp program.  When I loaded the files I had been working on I noticed that the Alpha channel was gone so I started from scratch and it all worked.  Along with my edits, the shiny bits are back.  :smile:

Thanks for the advice!