Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Recommendations for a complete upgrade

I'm looking a little early as I won't do this until later in the year, but what do we know about what's coming along for P3D that will help P3D perform as good as possible?

What OS?

What CPU?

How useful is SLI for P3D in 2017?

I currently am using a nearly 5 y/o system I assembled using SB-E at 4.422 Ghz on air, 32Gb of DDR-3@2400Mhz, and an single original flavor GTX Titan, Win 7.  It's been flawless since day 1.

Thanks!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Intel's new i7 7700k is supposed to be a fantastic overclocker, and I don't think you could buy a better CPU as far as P3D is concerned. If you can find a 6700k for significantly less, then it is also a great option, although it probably won't OC as high. Clock for clock, they are essentially the same CPU.

For the OS, I see no reason not to use Windows 10, as I've never experienced any sort of compatibility issues with any addons, etc. and it is a pretty solid OS in general.

SLI is really not a big performance factor in P3D unless you plan on using something like Flyinside VR. I run SLI 1080s and performance isn't affected whatsoever when I turn SLI off (actually, the latest hotfix to Prepar3d seems to have broken SLI completely). If you want to upgrade from the Titan, a single GTX 1080 is all the performance you would possibly need for P3D and quite a big step up from the original Titan in general, especially for very high resolutions.

Excellent thank for the concise recommendations.

Cheers!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I can second the 7700K. I just got one and even though it is clocked at 4.2ghz, it has 4.5ghz boost and runs at that all day happily anyway, so you might find you won't need to overclock it initially. Make sure if you do get a 7700K to get a good cooler, they run hot.

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4

Intel's new i7 7700k is supposed to be a fantastic overclocker

4.8 to 5.2 GHz. Dependent on the usual factors that impact overclocking.

Make sure if you do get a 7700K to get a good cooler, they run hot.

Not necessarily. There was an issue for most makes of boards, regarding high temps. Latest BIOS should eliminate that issue. Essential therefore to make sure you run with the latest BIOS and watch out for new BIOS releases in the near future.

Hi Martin!

I'm convinced I have to have another 6+ core processor as I've had nothing but excellent luck w/ the now old SB-E.  I know the evidence might not be there but when I see all of those LP's dancing around loading terrain textures I have to believe it's a good thing!  Probably doesn't bear out in tests but...

So those I see are X processors, Skylake X, Kaby Lake X and Coffee Cup X.

With the current Kaby Lake quad core, what would I be looking at for P3D in terms of better performance?  +10%?  +20%?  20% would be significant, 10% not so much.

Noel