Sign in to follow this  
carguy4471

KSAN to KEMT on PilotEdge

Full flight, IFR from San Diego to El Monte.  I downloaded the newest OBS and got some different settings from some cool bloke on youtube.  The video doesn't seem to have the same stutters as last time.  

I could stand to dial in some settings for better frame rates out of my sim though.  

Well, here it it.  

Seemed fine to me, good video, has made me decide to buy the GTN 750 from Flight1. Did you find it easy to integrate into your aircraft?

Eugene

Some aircraft have built in integration.  With this particular aircraft a member here has a mod for it which is relatively easy to use.  If you look closely, the bezel is the GNS.   Many A2A and carenado/alabeo aircraft have very simple integration.   

For aircraft specific integration that isn't done by the aircraft designer, look in the aircraft section of the forums.  I've found mods for the carendado TBM, PC12 and a couple others.  Newer carenao/alabeo aircraft will list compatibility, also the A2A 172/182/commanche and maybe another one or two have use of the GTN built in.  

If an aircraft doesn't have GTN compatibility and you can't find a mod, you can always use it as a pop up quite easily.  It really is an amazing upgrade.  Super easy to use.  I love the decent profile bit, it makes hitting your IAF at the correct altitude a no brainer.  You can also customize the data in the corners of the map page (took me a while to find this).  That way you can have the data you want right on the map screen.  Taxi is brilliant as well, all the taxiways are labeled.  

Ok, so that's my $0.02 on the GTN.  I have to occasionally hop in the 182 without it though and do some flying off standard VOR to keep the skills up though.  The GTN will spoil you. 

Some aircraft have built in integration.

Thanks for the info, I went ahead and ordered it from Flight1, their 30 day money back guarantee is comforting, but already I've decided it's a "Keeper".

I actually found I prefer to use it as a stand alone pop up on a second screen I use for running various add-ons, so haven't felt the need to intregrate into a panel yet, which makes it even simpler.

I added to to the RealAir Turbine Duke, and flew that same route KPSP to L35 (Big Bear) as a test, and it flew the whole flight on autopilot almost flawlessly. The fact that I was able to program it quite quickly without even reading the manual (although I got the basic gist of it from your video's), is a testament to its simple interface. I'm sure I'll get more from it if I read the manual.

The only thing it didn't do quite as I expected, was the final turn at OKACO to the GPS 26 approach, it didn't anticipate the lead in, so had a tough job establishing on the inbound track, even though I'd reduced to 140kts to help it out. Next time, I'll initiate the OKACO inbound turn manually a couple of mile short of OKACO unless there's another way to do it?

A great bit of kit, but as you say, I still need to do raw data flights to maintain skills.

Thanks

Eugene

Eugene, 

I've found it's ability to get the turns right varies by aircraft.  In the carenado Pilatus the thing is dead nuts every time.  It's also a treat in the a2a commanche and 182.  Be sure to check out the vertical calculator page in utilities.  For longer flights in the flight levels it's wonderful not having to do math.  The geolocated approach charts are fantastic as well.   The GTN is almost cheating, lol.