Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Sizing up the paint kit.....

Lol, thanks but I have been painting planes for twenty years and now paint pro for FSX/P3D developers so I could paint this one if I wanted - but I am a bit burned out after doing six Connie paints and a tutorial on how to paint the Connie and some pro work as well.

Plus I am not sure about configs and the engine painting problems. 

I with ya Paul regarding being burned out sometimes!

I was hoping to take a break after 9 ifly 747s and 20 some-odd FSL A320 paints i did back to back, but this Queen has captivated me.

The paintkit is great and of course the 747 is such a great canvas to paint on.

Painters don’t have to worry about configs, they won’t affect your paint at all and users can always customize them to their liking anyway.  Not sure what the issue is with the engine textures…I don’t have any problems with them.

You did not read my post. I said "working" textures. Of course when you are completely done and ready to share your work then change them all back to DDS DXT5. If you are working in DXT5 you are causing texture corruption on each save.

I stopped using DXTBMP a while back when I starting using the Nvidia plugin (it works for Paintshop as well).  It has completely streamlined my painting process as I no longer have to keep working textures and work directly from the master now.

The DXT5 compression algorithm is light years better than DXT3 was, but like you said Paul...working and re-saving them still causes unacceptable levels of decompression noise into your textures.

I was actually using 32bit textures (for the fuse only) way back in the early DXT3 days, as DTX3 was not that great (IMO)....then again we were on 1024 texture maps back then and a lot of the popular planes had the entire fuse on one map.  Compared to today where we're at 4096x4096 on 3 maps just for the fuse!  :shok:

We have come such a long way in the painting realm as well as the simming world...its a great time to be a simmer!

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Ok, ok already I will paint it myself, lol. Hey, it's a start :)

h1a-L.png

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Ok, ok already I will paint it myself, lol. Hey, it's a start :)

Hehe...it's gonna look great Paul!   :Applause:

Like I mentioned I'll be putting that lovely lady on an A330 tail sometime in the future (if she's not already done by someone else).

I lined up behind them frequently at KLAX waiting for departure on 24L...I was pretty jealous that they were going to the Island while my little Spirit A3-whatever was heading back to Dallas.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Has anyone got the Model Converter X viewer to work with this plane? All I get are checkerboards. Works fine with the Connie.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Has anyone got the Model Converter X viewer to work with this plane? All I get are checkerboards. Works fine with the Connie.

I have not been able to.

Not sure if its dues to the model complexity or something in the model inhibiting us from viewing it in MCX.   Sure would like to be able to preview my paints in it vs the sim....20x time reduction in load time.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Getting there,, hard part is almost over. Click on the pic for larger.

h2a-XL.png

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Getting there,, hard part is almost over. Click on the pic for larger.

Beautiful Paul!

Yep...lining up the tail textures without a doubt the hardest part.

Can't wait for the final version.

Did not have much time for my paints tonight...real life if getting in the way  :Waiting:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Got her done,,need a couple testers before uploading so PM me if you want to check it out. 

c2aa-XL.png

• Upvote 1

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Does anyone know what is causing this to show on 2 of the 4 GE engines? Engine_zpseva0u7tt.jpg

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.