Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
light_blue_yonder

777 Tiller System

Recommended Posts

Anyone still here? Not all over the 747? Good, I'll begin: :smile:

I'm sure these are well-known problems, but I am requesting (and praying that PMDG will take the suggestion) a couple of features. (No, it's not opening windows, read on :Tounge: )

 

1. Anyone with GSX knows about this: if the tug turns you when you have hydraulics powered up (as per FCOM vol.1), the nose wheel tiller will jerk around. I have read here: http://www.avsim.com/topic/451673-gsx-push-back-tug-vs-pmdg-777-nose-wheel/ that GSX does provide an option for By-pass Pin simulation. Please, PMDG, can we not have to live with USD$139.99 worth of jerking tiller? :smile:

 

2. Ever tried testing the rudders while taxiing? Anyone else wants the Majestic Dash 8-style tiller control, mappable to a separate axis? If Majestic can do it, why not have it on the 777? (I am not a developer though, it might be impossible.)

 

Now, I'm not saying the PMDG slacked off on the 777, it's a fantastic simulation even as it is. However, PMDG has spoiled me into always asking for more. Any chance of this happening? (After the 747 is all sorted out after release.)


Haoning Qu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did it using FSX menu control options to map another axis...Works well for me in all their airplanes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a registered copy of FSUIPC, assign a spare axis to "steering set" (NOT "steering tiller", which is also in the FSUIPC options menu).

Select the option to send the axis as a standard FSX/P3D control. Works perfectly on the 777 and 747


Jim Barrett

Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic, Avionics, Electrical & Air Data Systems Specialist. Qualified on: Falcon 900, CRJ-200, Dornier 328-100, Hawker 850XP and 1000, Lear 35, 45, 55 and 60, Gulfstream IV and 550, Embraer 135, Beech Premiere and 400A, MD-80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The above two responses are not really addressing the same issue as the original poster. The issue is not assigning an axis to the tiller which can easily be done - it's disengaging the rudder from the tiller, and disengaging the nosewheel steering altogether during pushback. Realistic nosewheel steering has been at the top of my list of PMDG desires for a while, aside from takeoff data uplinks, and ACARS, which I imagine would be much more involved to implement. And PMDG, if you're worried about the people who don't have a spare axis for a tiller and want to taxi with the rudder, why not just put a "Rudder Steering" option in the appropriate section of the FMC? you could even have it on by default, and you'd never have to worry about floods of people complaining that the can't turn on the ground.

 

MacFarland Masterton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, lequinne said:

The above two responses are not really addressing the same issue as the original poster. The issue is not assigning an axis to the tiller which can easily be done - it's disengaging the rudder from the tiller, and disengaging the nosewheel steering altogether during pushback. Realistic nosewheel steering has been at the top of my list of PMDG desires for a while, aside from takeoff data uplinks, and ACARS, which I imagine would be much more involved to implement. And PMDG, if you're worried about the people who don't have a spare axis for a tiller and want to taxi with the rudder, why not just put a "Rudder Steering" option in the appropriate section of the FMC? you could even have it on by default, and you'd never have to worry about floods of people complaining that the can't turn on the ground.

 

MacFarland Masterton

The way fs labs did it with the a320 would work better for Boeing aircraft  than using the spoiler axis like majestic does...


Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I set it up via FSUIPC and it works great. Sure Boeings till jitter but its a happy medium until something else comes along. Personally I don't like the Majestic method because I wont remove my spoiler axis as I use it for other aircraft all the time. 


Angelo Cosma
PPL ASEL / IFR
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) 

Field Service Representative (SEA) ZSE ARTCC

Intel i7 6700K 4.8Ghz / ASUS ROG Maximus Hero VIII / 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz Ram / EVGA 1080Ti FTW3/ Corsair H110i GTX EVGA 850 Watt Gold / Samsung 850 500gb SSD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mikea76 said:

The way fs labs did it with the a320 would work better for Boeing aircraft  than using the spoiler axis like majestic does...

Hmm how did fs labs do it?

5 hours ago, Angelo Cosma said:

I set it up via FSUIPC and it works great. Sure Boeings till jitter but its a happy medium until something else comes along. Personally I don't like the Majestic method because I wont remove my spoiler axis as I use it for other aircraft all the time. 

Sure, of course it doesn't have to be in exactly the same way, using the same axis, as majestic did it. I'm sure there are plenty of different ways to go about it, many of which are better than Majestic's way. But I mean... FSLabs and Majestic both do it... so it can be done - and maybe, PMDG, you're settling for the easy way on this one issue? And as the baddest beast in Sim-land, why should you be? :emu:

To quote the original poster:

On 2/5/2017 at 7:33 PM, flightsim91 said:

Now, I'm not saying the PMDG slacked off on the 777, it's a fantastic simulation even as it is. However, PMDG has spoiled me into always asking for more.

So I hereby add my name to the list of those gently encouraging PMDG to give it's greedy little customers a deeper-modeled nosewheel-steering system, and apply it as an update across all their products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lequinne said:

Hmm how did fs labs do it?

Sure, of course it doesn't have to be in exactly the same way, using the same axis, as majestic did it. I'm sure there are plenty of different ways to go about it, many of which are better than Majestic's way. But I mean... FSLabs and Majestic both do it... so it can be done - and maybe, PMDG, you're settling for the easy way on this one issue? And as the baddest beast in Sim-land, why should you be? :emu:

To quote the original poster:

So I hereby add my name to the list of those gently encouraging PMDG to give it's greedy little customers a deeper-modeled nosewheel-steering system, and apply it as an update across all their products.

I am not sure how FS labs coded it but basically if you have registered. Fsupic you assign the tiller to steering set, change a option in the mcdu and then the pedals have only 6 degrees of movement. 

 

Pmdg is is easily able to code the same option.... who knows maybe they will do so at some point.   I don't own the 744 yet but this precise control becomes more important with the fixed ground friction modeling they included in the 744


Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    15%
    $3,985.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...