Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

FSX:SE and Steam updates...

Well, my 100th install of FSX:SE happened yesterday, for the purpose of running the acquired FSLabs A320...

I installed Steam, then FSX:SE. After rebooting I installed in the following order:

- ORBX FTX Global

- All of my A2A aircraft

- Steve's DX10 Fixer

- The FSLabs A320, which prompts for a reboot during one of the install steps.

When the system rebooted and I started FSX:SE ( I have Steam set not to start when I boot ) Steam issued an update...

I can't tell anything went wrong with it, but some installs ago I remember one day having gone through a really weird situation when after this more or less identical sequence of installs one day I found all of my mesh was looking strange. I believe it was after I installed ORBX FTX Global and then played for a while, closed FSX, and when I started it the next day the situation occurred.

I never really found the culprit. All I could tell was all of a sudden there were no hills around Lisbon, just some weird elevations, and it was the same all around the World ??? What the heck happened I still don't know, but I do know that again last night I forgot to disable the game auto updates....

I wonder if this can cause problems after installing stuff like ORBX or the Fixer, which mess around with textures, mesh, shaders... ?

Will have to find out how to disable automatic game updates for FSX:SE, my only Steam app ...

Any comments appreciated !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

When the system rebooted and I started FSX:SE ( I have Steam set not to start when I boot ) Steam issued an update...

Those aren't updates of anything in FSX-SE itself, only the part of the Steam software which is loaded first and which then loads FSX-SE. This part is invoked by the substitute FSX.EXE module, which is not the "true" FSX.EXE but the steam wrapper.

The steam envelope is updated regularly to keep it abreast of the other parts of steam, including its downloadable FSX-SE content, so it can advertise it and provide easy access to it, but that's all.

Will have to find out how to disable automatic game updates for FSX:SE, my only Steam app ...

There have been NO FSX-SE game updates since version 62615 was released about 18 months ago! The changes which concern you have been wrought by something you added, probably ORBX, with which the order of its layering is very important.  The way it does it by default messed my system up -- both FSX and FSX-SE.

Just check your Scenery.CFG file and start a process of layer elimination. Or search this forum as someone did actually publish a scenery layer list in the order which works well.

Pete

• Upvote 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Thx a lot for your posts Tom & Pete!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...