Sign in to follow this  
partlett

VAS sudden unexpected behaviour

On 2/19/2017 at 7:52 PM, w6kd said:

The reports say the problems have been fixed. 

Or to rephrase, the new beta has fixed some major problems. 

Or to be perhaps more clear, there were some major problems, and they have been fixed. 

Or to be crystal clear, the major problems that existed before have been fixed now.

Or...

Bob, that truly had me laughing of loud. Thanks.

15 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

First, in your CMOS setup, turn off hyperthreading. As others have pointed out, this gains ~200 MB VAS.

Wow Jay "first",that's a drastic why to save 200mb.

I would suggest going into NVidia Control Panel under P3d ,Shader cache set to OFF, that saves 200mb and a lot less drastic. Also another way to save 200mb is dont load the sim with a default aircraft first load it with the aircraft your going to use, at the gate/Parking spot you want to start at.

Also

[GRAPHICS] ... ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=1 , yep that's good

[TERRAIN] ... UseGlobalTerrainView=True, also good.

But....

[SCENERY] ... MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=32 , not sure about this one!

Default is 16

Quote "Increase value to reduce VAS usage but will increase long frames (stutters)."

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

6 hours ago, tooting said:

I still don't buy this driver issue. 

There was one and you could even OOM not moving if you left pc for a long time, but you OOM seems to be not the same thing, it would not make you drop like you said, but the driver problem would not of helped.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Not really that drastic when 200 MB is the difference  between a successfully completed flight and an OOM. The performance  improvements from HT are marginal at best. I've never seen any but maybe you do. 

The 32 value is what Rob A. recommends for eking out a bit more VAS. Even 64 works, but the higher that number the more likely one will experience  stutters. The default is 16, but it used to be 4 before P3d went down the VAS rabbit hole.

Like we both know its what works on our own PC's

I have not had one OOM. But everyone is different.

Personally I run an [JOBSCHEDULER] AffinityMask=85, and put chaseplane etc on the threads not used by P3d.

9 hours ago, Nyxx said:

But....

[SCENERY] ... MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=32 , not sure about this one!

Default is 16

Quote "Increase value to reduce VAS usage but will increase long frames (stutters)."

Depending on the size of your graphics card, setting to 32 can cause DXGI error. ( Caused by too  long frames ) Have mine set at 16 for GTX970.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Well, anyone who isn't running a GTX 10xx card and decided to install the last 5 or 6 nVidia driver updates is probably wasting their time anyway. As you should note, my suggestion was specific to the 378.xx series drivers which for reasons unknown have caused more than a few people here to complain about VAS leaks. These are probably more prevalent for those flying complex aircraft at 2K/4K resolutions with a lot of other addons also active.

I should add here that what I've observed with this driver series is that there tends to be a more significant disparity between the amount of free VAS and the largest contiguous block of free VAS. Its only the latter that counts when it comes to OOMs.