Sign in to follow this  
markcellis

Question about Phraseology

I'm very new to Pilot2ATC so forgive me if this is discussed somewhere but I could not seem to find it. I notice in all the practice sessions for phraseology prefacing the request with the controller name seems to be missing. As an example, I think your are supposed to say:

Boston Clearance, Beech 1VB, with foxtrot request clearance to <destination>

All the examples are missing the controller preface. I have been reading "Say Again" and listening to Pilot Edge and that is what seems to be the norm. The good news is Pilot2ATC seems perfectly fine with me adding it and seems to just pickup after my call sign.

Am I wrong?

Mark

I just did some more playing around and this time I had Pilot2ATC setup to have the co-pilot control the radios and responses. On initial contact with ATC centers and approach the co-pilot would preface with center, Beech 1 VB, at altitude. So it does seem to like the preface sometimes. I also lied, when it isn't expecting the preface and you provide it seems to miss your call-sign. Maybe this is just some limitations and a lack of understanding on my part as to what the current accepted phraseology is.

I have to admit, this is one very sophisticated program, Dave you clearly have a lot of hours into this, it is very impressive.

Mark

I found this at the end of the manual:

(xxxx)
(Optional portion of phrase)
( xxxx OR xxxx)
(Select One of multiple phrases)
<xxxx>
<Phrase Varaiable>
<Altitude> = Flight Level 230, Twelve Thousand Feet, etc.
<ApproachType>=ILS Approach, RNAV Approach, Visual Straight In, VFR Pattern Entry, Overhead Pattern, etc
<PatternLocation>=Left Downwind, Downwind, Base, Right Base, on Final, etc.
<ControllerType> Clearance Delivery,Ground, Tower, etc.
<AirportLocation> Refueling, GA Ramp, Cargo Ramp, etc.
<GateName> - C23-"Charlie Two Three", etc.

Maybe this works if I use the generic controller name, i.e. "Clearance Delivery" rather than Boston xxxx. I'll try this and see if it behaves.

If this is the way it is supposed to work it might be a good idea to make a better mention of it the manual. Possibly this could also be incorporated in the phase help so you get into the habit of communicating with ATC according to the AIM.

I just have to add, this is one impressive piece of software. If we could get it integrated with an AI traffic system complete with ATC communication to the AI traffic this would be a must-have for all X-Plane users. 

Mark

Mark,

The speech recognition of many names just flat does not work.  So that is why it is optional.  Many names, like Boston, Dallas, etc. will work, and so you can use them in your calls, most of the time.

The copilot does not ever use them to avoid having issues with the many hard to understand names around the world. 

So, the bottom line is, to be able to use non-human controllers, we have to accept some level of not quite exact phraseology.

Glad you're enjoying the program.

Dave

The speech recognition  in Windows  is really in a state of internal corporate turmoil. Windows 10 actually has 3 different  speech APIs available  to developers and the Microsoft hierarchy  can't seem to make up its mind which to unify behind. First, there is SAPI 5.3, the speech API introduced with Win 7, that most apps use for SR and TTS. Then there's the Bing Speech API  for web-based apps.

Lastly, there's the Cortana API which is Microsoft's "answer" to Alexa, Hello Google and Siri. In my experience  Cortana seems the most accurate of the 3 for SR and requires the least personalized voice training, but maybe that's just me.

Yes, that's true.  And, unfortunately, the only one that works with desktop applications like Pilot2ATC is the SAPI 5.3.