Sign in to follow this  
Goldstar Textures

TWA 800 Tribute Paint

Hi Guys -

Just a preview of an upcoming paint of mine - this is the first for the 747 that will be released by myself!

*Haven't worked out for the life of me to insert pics into thread in the new avsim layout*

Cheers guys!

• Upvote 1

The picture isn't displaying correctly...

Just a heads up :)

This brings shivers to my spine and makes the hair on the back of my neck crawl...my story:  nine before it went down, I took advantage of a free first class ticket on TWA.  My dad had been working there.  My mom and sister,who spoke some French, were going to be there, so even more reason to go.  So, I was on TWA 800  in November.  

Being an avid sailor, I was in a racing crew that was racing every weekend around the New York area.  We were competing in the offshore series in which we raced everywhere from edge of Nantucket on down the Jersey Shore, including New York Harbor and Raritan Bay.  This meant some overnight racing,  

To not bore with anymore racing details (contact me if interested in all the races I had been in), we were signed up for the Around Long Island Race in which you race all the way around the island, which is about 230 miles (the race is 230 miles). When I heard the news of the accident, I was shocked and devastated knowing that I had been on it a several months before.  I thought the race was going to be cancelled and there were rumors of it because we were to sail through the area by East Moriches.  They decided we would have to sail around the area, but last minute the course was announced and we were to go through it.  

As the race started around 7 p.m. we knew we would be going through at night.  I don't remember if everyone was on watch when we sailed through, but I was trimming the jib as always.  We could still see the lights of the shore, I would guess we were 5 miles out.  As we approached the area, the wind was light and the ocean had a slow undulation to it.  There were at least two fishing trawlers with some lights on about a mile or two out as usual .  I don't know exactly if they were fishing, but it seemed normal.  My emotions were going crazy when we sailed through, I tried to hold back the tears and an outpouring of love for those lost and left behind.  Everyone on the boat was relatively quiet as we went through-communication seemed to be at a minimum.  I think they were thinking of those lost and saying a prayer for all.  I wish I could of dropped some flowers in, but I know people were going to do it (and perhaps had all ready done it) and it's against racing regulations to lose anything during the race.  I knew that time can help suffering, but it really does not when you look back on these things.  We just hope that we can remember and keep their memories alive and look forward to brighter future.

• Upvote 1

10700k / Gigabyte 3060