Sign in to follow this  
Jackflyer

x-plane 11 beta some basic questions

Just downloaded xplane 11 demo for the first time - had some initial problems so I  checked  your forums for recent posts and read (or rather scanned) the manual. I would like advice on the following

1.In the demo (using the Cessna) I tried the various view options using the keys. I could go left,right, up,down, in and out ---- change from inside to outside using the shift + numeric keys etc. My problem is  when using the comma and period key to zoom back I obviously hit the pilot's seat and and all the instruments are blocked by my view of the seat back!! In fsx I can control this view by changing the zoom percentage using ezdoc e.g. 70% or 40%   how do you do the equivalent in xplane?  I suspect there is a simple answer as I have seen youtube videos with a fsx like viewing arrangement.

2. Could you explain the significance of the word 'forward' as in forward with scenery or forward with 2D panel etc.

3. Final question are you able to download and store the scenery files on a separate external hard drive rather than the one where you have installed x plane? so that the program knows the mapping of that drive for scenery retrieval.

Jack Allan

1) Mouse scroll wheel perhaps? Also remember tha you can set your presets by pressing CTRL+numbers on the numpad. For example i usually move the view to the overhead, press CTRL+3 so i can recall that view every time i want by just pressing "3" on the numpad. Make sure numpad keys are active tho

If you Press C you can go in free view mode, the view is not docked to the plane and you can roam around the scenery with comma and period key.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I'm not really familiar with the demo, but if it allows you into the graphics settings, you will find (near the bottom of the pop up screen) a POV (point of view slider).  Change it to about 80 and you should be good.  Also, at the very bottom of the screen, I can't remember the name, but to the right of the TrackIR option, is another option which can be toggled.  Mine was set at something less than 100% when first downloaded.

John

John Wingold

You can put any link in the custom scenery folder to point to an external drive directory or use the symbolic link system (not an expert here though)