Sign in to follow this  
Maltloaf

Simple curcuits (pattern)

First I would like to say I am blown away by P2ATC, I have used Vox for quite a while and think it is great.  However, then X Plane 11 came along and with the ATC on X Plane 11 being both drastically incorrect and bordering on ridiculous I was about to cast X Plane to the ‘nice try’ department when I came across P2ATC.  Brilliant!  Game changer.

Anyway, before I get carried away, a couple of bugs/issues or me getting it wrong.  In no particular order, I seem to get forgotten about as soon as I get told to line up and wait, for how long? Well actually for ever until I give ATC a nudge by repeating ready for departure. Is this correct?

Secondly, on the downwind leg of a circuit (pattern) I report 'downwind' and get a clearance to land, really, on the downwind?  Even with an AI jet on the threshold.

When I report ‘Final’ or actually ‘on final for full stop’ as ‘final’ isn’t an option and expect to get a ‘cleared to land’, I get ‘this is Bristol International Airport, go ahead'.

Is it me?

I can live with all the above as it is brilliant but just wondered.

Normally, on a line up and wait, you will be cleared for takeoff as soon as the runway is clear.  if an AI Aircraft is waiting to cross the runway or something, they are sometimes too close and could cause the long delay.  If you don't see any traffic, doing what you did is exactly correct.  I've had to do that in the real world too.

Yes, you might get cleared for landing on downwind, although normally you should get told to report turning final, at which point you'll get the clearance.  If the jet doesn't move, you should get go-around on short final.

The "this is Bristol.... go ahead" means ATC did not understand your request.  Probably just a word off from what it's looking for.  Usually, if you check the SayIt phrases, you'll find one  that works.  It may have been looking to hear the runway you were on final for.  Look in SayIt->Report->PatternLocation for the landing phrases.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the very quick reply.  I’ll monitor the Line Up and Wait thing but I even came out the ac each time and had a look around for AI, nothing about.

As for the Final call, I did exactly what you said, I clicked the ‘On Finals for Full Stop’ and used the ‘Say It’ button several times and still got the same ‘This is Bristol’ etc.  I assumed it might be because I already had clearance on the downwind and it was therefore not giving it again. 

I tried it at several different airports in US and UK and never got a ‘report turning final’, always a clearance and nothing on ‘On Finals for Full Stop’. I'll check which menu it came from.

Later........Checked the menu and I was taking it from LandingIntention so 'On Final for Fullstop' rather than'On Final' when in RL I would just say Final.  Downwind issue was similar.  So my bad for not knowing my way around the menus and not using Pattern Position.

Next question, how do I stop ATC telling me that I have traffic when I am in the pattern!.  I have tried Canel Traffic advisories and she acknoledges the canel, she thanks me, wishes me a good day then imediately reports traffic :)

Malt.

Malt,

I'll have to look at why you were getting traffic advisories in the VFR pattern.  As a work-around for now, just turn off traffic advisories in the Config window on the AI Traffic tab.

Dave