Sign in to follow this  
JamesIceland

Overclocking my new system - Results/Tests

2 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Not sure about Aorus, what's the quality like?

Aorus = Gigabyte.  It's a sub-brand, like Republic of Gamers or Strix are for Asus.

James: that's a good card, go for it! 

49 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Not sure about Aorus, what's the quality like?

From what I've been reading, it's allegedly good and the cards are powerful. I think it's going to be fine for what I want. All the custom over clocked GPU's tend to be much of a much-ness. We shall see tomorrow though! 

EDIT: Aorus cards come with a 4 year warranty in most places - not relevant for me as I'll be moving but still a good sign

42 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Aorus = Gigabyte.  It's a sub-brand, like Republic of Gamers or Strix are for Asus.

Thanks Max - the Aorus 1080 came out tops in performance. No reviews for the 1080Ti yet but somehow I'll have one tomorrow...maybe I'll post one! The only downside I have read about is that it is heavy - but no heavier than other custom 3 fan cards. I have reinforced motherboard PCI slots though so will see what happens. Regardless, I'll be removing the card when I ship my computer overseas in a month or two.

Any ideas anyone? GTX 1080 Ti all installed ok - I simply swapped out the 780 Ti and booted and it's recognised. I didn't uninstall the drivers and reinstall - should I? Installing the Aorus software, I don't seem to have access to the Over Clocking profiles in there - they are just greyed out. Not sure if this is because the card is so new?

Anyway, ran Realbench and the final result was lower (106945 vs 159170) with the 1080Ti than with the 780Ti - am I possible missing something? Plan to play a bit more tomorrow. Ran a Heaven benchmark and got a 43xx something score with average FPS of 180 which I know is decent. Just want to ensure I'm getting max performance from both parts. All tests done at 5Ghz clock speed.

It's often the same driver, but do it properly and uninstall the old driver and install the new one for the card. From the Nvidia website, not CD. Always install the driver for your card, don't risk it been the same driver.

Run RealBench more than once, not uncommon to get a spurious result. Happened to me once.

6 hours ago, JamesHongKong said:

Any ideas anyone? GTX 1080 Ti all installed ok - I simply swapped out the 780 Ti and booted and it's recognised. I didn't uninstall the drivers and reinstall - should I? Installing the Aorus software, I don't seem to have access to the Over Clocking profiles in there - they are just greyed out. Not sure if this is because the card is so new?

Anyway, ran Realbench and the final result was lower (106945 vs 159170) with the 1080Ti than with the 780Ti - am I possible missing something? Plan to play a bit more tomorrow. Ran a Heaven benchmark and got a 43xx something score with average FPS of 180 which I know is decent. Just want to ensure I'm getting max performance from both parts. All tests done at 5Ghz clock speed.

Uninstall the driver and install the latest version from Nvidia's website.  Test again.  

15 hours ago, martin-w said:

It's often the same driver, but do it properly and uninstall the old driver and install the new one for the card. From the Nvidia website, not CD. Always install the driver for your card, don't risk it been the same driver.

Run RealBench more than once, not uncommon to get a spurious result. Happened to me once.

10 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Uninstall the driver and install the latest version from Nvidia's website.  Test again.  

Thanks guys - done this and still the same lower Realbench results. I will run it again and turn off most of the background processes as have a few more things running. I'll also try at 5.1 Ghz too. Strange results. I haven't had a real chance to do some bench marking properly yet as been busy with other things. Going to need to tweak a few settings.

I noticed that the Aorus software is marked as Beta which may be why the over clocking options, other than manual, are greyed out. I still don't quite understand how I have this GPU in hand as it's not anywhere online as being reviewed or released?!

Is test 1 and 2 as before and 3-4 worse?

Test 3 is gpu 100% , had been problem with pascal dont Clock the mems 

Here are the results from the tests I have run, oldest to newest:

Sun Mar 26 2017
23:31:20

Image Editing: 242551
Time: 20.977

Encoding: 190654
Time: 50.29

OpenCL: 54098
KSamples/sec:  1206

Heavy Multitasking: 192656
Time: 50.764

System Score: 159170

----------------------------

Mon Mar 27 2017
18:08:41

Image Editing: 99913
Time: 50.924

Encoding: 189827
Time: 50.509

OpenCL: 54098
KSamples/sec:  1202

Heavy Multitasking: 167571
Time: 58.363

System Score: 117032

Sat Apr 1 2017
19:21:45

Image Editing: 46400
Time: 109.654

Encoding: 189444
Time: 50.611

OpenCL: 113156
KSamples/sec:  2965

Heavy Multitasking: 133869
Time: 73.056

System Score: 98086

Sat Apr 1 2017
22:43:25

Image Editing: 50796
Time: 100.165

Encoding: 189302
Time: 50.649

OpenCL: 119718
KSamples/sec:  3166

Heavy Multitasking: 163742
Time: 59.728

System Score: 106945

Sun Apr 2 2017
14:58:25

Image Editing: 47985
Time: 106.031

Encoding: 188099
Time: 50.973

OpenCL: 119718
KSamples/sec:  3168

Heavy Multitasking: 154761
Time: 63.194

System Score: 103697

Test 3 is clearly massively improved from my 780Ti but not sure why the other results are different. Any thoughts welcomed. Getting good results in 3D Mark despite my GPU not being recognised yet...

I recon it's just a RealBench quirk. Might be wrong. As I say, RealBench has done weird things for me too. I have a post about it on the forum, had to run it again a few times.

You know realbench is primarily a CPU benchmark, right?  I know there's an Open CL test, but that only measures a single aspect of GPU performance and is only a single test so there's always room for error/anomaly.  Did you ever run any other 3d benchmarks with the 780 which you could compare to the new card?  Even if you did not, you should run some 3d benchmarks and compare to other users of the same card if you're worried the system is not performing correctly.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/3/2017 at 4:13 AM, TechguyMaxC said:

You know realbench is primarily a CPU benchmark, right?  I know there's an Open CL test, but that only measures a single aspect of GPU performance and is only a single test so there's always room for error/anomaly.  Did you ever run any other 3d benchmarks with the 780 which you could compare to the new card?  Even if you did not, you should run some 3d benchmarks and compare to other users of the same card if you're worried the system is not performing correctly.  

Hi Max, thanks - yes I was aware of that. It was just a good recommended stress tester that didn't unnecessarily over work the CPU. I have run some 3DMark bench marks but because the GPU is so new (TweakTown have literally just posted an un-boxing today) it isn't giving me the combined scores and/or letting me compare results. That said it seems to be doing well in all the tests! I still haven't got around to doing some over clocking testing on either the CPU and GPU yet - I haven't had any time. I did run a couple of tests in GTA V with settings pretty much maxed out on my 1440p monitor and frame rates were well above 60FPS and into the 90's sometimes. Also tried out Sniper Elite 4 with DX12 and frame rates on Ultra settings are well above 85 FPS and up to 140 FPS! I hear these games are pretty taxing on systems so I'm definitely getting good results at 5 Ghz CPU and standard Aorus boost settings on the GPU. Temps on the CPU remain low (max 63c today) and GPU max of 75c, max boost clock of around 1980 Mhz 

Looking forward to getting the flight sim set up but I'm still going to wait a bit - probably around June time if v4 P3D is out. May bung X Plane 11 on before that.

As long as the real world results meet your expectations, a one-off result from a synthetic benchmark shouldn't be too concerning.  

As for Flight Sim, could always just setup good old FSX in the meantime.  That's what I've done while waiting on P3D v4 and whatever else comes out this year.  

16 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

As for Flight Sim, could always just setup good old FSX in the meantime.

I definitely think my game results are very good. I'm also seeing a few of the Aorus 1080Ti reviews now saying it's perhaps the best of the bunch so far (price vs performance) so I'm chuffed with my "forced" choice there!

As for installing FSX, I think I'll wait - my FSX days are over. I am increasingly interested in getting back into X Plane though. Version 11 looks good. I think a pretty clean version of that with just the VMax 757 will allow me some PMDG-esque flying whilst I wait. My limiting factor right now is my Hong Kong village internet connection though - 8Mb/s has meant Battlefield 1 took 2 days to download and I believe X Plane 11 is a similar size...all in all I'm going to wait for my move to Iceland when I'll a) have a 1Gb/s internet and b) the proper time to get all my equipment set up. In the mean time I'll be doing some good ol' fashioned PC Gaming!