Sign in to follow this  
johnbla

Altitude hold on autopilot

I notice that if you press the altitude hold button on the autopilot the aircraft remains at that level. That's fine. Is it possible to dial in an altitude,say 2,000 feet above your present altitude and when the aircraft reaches that altitude it will level off? Sorta like the default autopilot.

I can dial in an altitude on the gauge but it seems to do nothing.

There is no pdf regarding the autopilot.

Many thanks for any answers.

John

When you dial-in the altitude, you must "arm" it to point it out to the autopilot.  That is done by pressing the white arm button just to the left of the altitude setting.  I have noted that it works only in certain autopilot modes, probably due to simulator limitations.  Ensure that the word "arm" is displayed in the altitude setting window.  This is actually the way they worked on the older Bendix/King autopilots.  The Carenado Cheyenne uses the KFC-300 and IRL the altitude set had to be "armed" after selection.  The newer autopilots of today just assume that if you set an altitude in the window, it's the altitude you want the autopilot to use.  The newer electronics do a much better job of blending the selections and phasing-in commands. 

The old KFC-300 would take you on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride if you changed you mind, set and armed a new altitude within about 200-300 feet of reaching that new altitude.  We learned pretty quickly just to disengage the autopilot and hand-fly the level-off in that case.   

I don't own Carenado's Cheyenne yet but in the DA Cheyenne you set the altitude then hit the Arm button and when it reaches the set altitude it levels out.

Not sure how it works in Carenado's.