Sign in to follow this  
Nuno Pinto

FSMem 2.0 - FSX/P3D Memory Logger

Hello,

You might remember a tool i wrote a long time ago whose objective was to monitor VAS usage during a simulator session (FSX/P3D).

The original FSMem, although featuring memory usage warnings and selectable memory thresholds for these warnings, lacked one feature that i consider the most important: - Memory logging.

With this in mind and once i had a couple of days free, i coded a new application from scratch to do just that. FSMem2 now displays a graphic of either used or free memory, constantly displays free and available memory and, most importantly, logs and exports memory usage data.

You can then use the logs to better understand when, how, why your memory is used by the simulators. Hopefully this isn't going to be required for long with the apparent proximity of x64 versions of P3D, but for now it might still be useful.

README INCLUDED IN THE ARCHIVE

DOWNLOAD HERE

Here's a small screenshot sample, hope you find this too useful somehow.

LDnALwo.png

• Upvote 1

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

This could be useful. Thanks for the util.  But anyway to be really specific within the VAS exactly what addon is using as a live running total?  Right now we just have to subtract/add as we enable disable addons from the total. But not too accurate. 

Something like this (they might be changing constantly) 

Core P3D 1.5gb

PMDG 777 700mb

GSX 250mb

UTlive 450mb  etc

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I don't think i follow Dave, can you elaborate a bit more?

Thanks.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

10 minutes ago, Nuno Pinto said:

I don't think i follow Dave, can you elaborate a bit more?

Thanks.

Sorry for explanation.  Right now FSUIPC monitor and or your utility show me VAS remaining or used out of 4gb. But nothing tells me exactly what is being used up individually within that VAS 4gb. Would be helpful to see what each individual component/addon within the VAS is using. If we were able to monitor this, we may be able to see what is increasing in memory rather quickly and abnormally. Right now im trying to trouble shoot why Europe uses such an incredible amount of memory. Starting up FSL320 or a PMDG at a fairly big airport ( no one specific) I end up with only about 600mb remaining. Wont even bother to fly with that. So Im having to disable and renable things to see if there is any difference on the total VAS. But seeing each component/addon usage would pinpoint this problem alot quicker. I gather this is not easy to do otherwise it wouldve been done by now. 

Hope thats clearer

CYVR LSZH 

Yes, much clearer, thank you :)

Unfortunately FSX/P3D is a process which loads and unloads addons within itself and unless this is programmed internally, there's no way of knowing how much memory say, PMDG's 747, is using.

The best that can be done is monitor how much memory is being used "NOW", then load the 747 and see how much the addon has consumed. This is rather inaccurate, but still some sort of indicator.

Hope it helps :)

Ok thats what I thought. The ol classic way of dealing with memory usage. Oh well, hopefully in a short time, this will be all behind us when 64bit arrives.  Finally

• Upvote 1

CYVR LSZH