Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Excesive tearing on new UW monitor

Hi Folks:

I've recently installed a new video monitor, ultra wide, curved, LG 29UC97C and I'm running it at 2560x1080 resolution (which is its recommended setting) and 60 Hz refresh rate (no other option selectable). I've been suffering from a lot of tearing -horizontal lines- and I've already made the following adjustments:

1. Set both V-Sync ON in game (with P3Dv3.4) and in the NVIDIA Control Panel (NVCP) as well, for both Global Configuration and for Prepar3D.

2. Set Triple Buffering ON in game.

3. Cleaned using DDU all previous video drivers installation, and re-installed latest driver 381.89. Using a GeForce GTX 980.

Is there any specific action that anyone recommend me to do, in addition to those mentioned above?.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Ed

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The only setting that counts for tearing is v-sync. If you are experiencing it,  it's obviously not taking due to some setting. Make sure in control panel you force it to on just in case. 

8 hours ago, edpatino said:

1. Set both V-Sync ON in game (with P3Dv3.4) and in the NVIDIA Control Panel (NVCP) as well, for both Global Configuration and for Prepar3D.

Should be no need to turn VSync on in the NVCP if you have it on in-game.
Try turning it off in NVCP although it sounds like you might of tried this.

What is your target FPS in P3D and are you getting it?

gb.

10 hours ago, gboz said:

I understand, but I'm having also tearing while browsing, so that's why I've also turned VSync ON as a global setting. Target FPS in P3D is 33 (locked), and I'm getting numbers around 30-33, sometimes lower depending on the compexity of the scenery and aircraft used.

Thanks for your comments, Ed

15 hours ago, Raven9000 said:

The only setting that counts for tearing is v-sync. If you are experiencing it,  it's obviously not taking due to some setting. Make sure in control panel you force it to on just in case. 

Agree. I've also turned Triple Buffering ON in NVCP Global Settings.

So far, making sure both VSync and Triple Buffering are both ON in Global Settings, the tearing is pretty much lower while browsing, but I'll have to continue testing in P3D, in which, by the way, VSync is also turned ON together with Triple Buffering (both ON).

Thanks for your comments, Ed

21 hours ago, gboz said:

Try turning it off in NVCP although it sounds like you might of tried this.

What is your target FPS in P3D and are you getting it?

gb.

That's not true. It depends on what it is set to. There is an option that basically says "ignore what the application says"...

2 hours ago, Raven9000 said:

That's not true. It depends on what it is set to. There is an option that basically says "ignore what the application says"...

Yes I know that but P3D's Vsync should work without any assistance from NVCP.

gb.

13 hours ago, edpatino said:

Target FPS in P3D is 33 (locked), and I'm getting numbers around 30-33, sometimes lower depending on the compexity of the scenery and aircraft used.

I'd try and confirm the vsync is actually working.
Load a flight (default plane/default location) with settings lowered enough
to give you well over 60 FPS with frames set to unlimited in P3D and vsync off.
Turn on vsync and confirm FPS drop back to 60.

gb.

8 hours ago, gboz said:

gb.

But there are more vsync options in the NVIDIA Control Panel and Profile Inspector - standard, adaptive, adaptive 1/2 refresh rate and fast.

10 hours ago, gboz said:

gb.

I'll try that and report back here.

Thanks. Ed

11 hours ago, gboz said:

gb.

It seems VSync is actually working. Did exactly what you suggested and after lowering down several P3D settings I've got 130-140 FPS. Then I turned VSync ON (together with Triple Buffering) with the lowered settings, and the FPS went down well around 60 FPS.

Any additional suggestions, please?.

Thanks in advance, Ed

19 hours ago, gboz said:

gb.

No, again, the setting can be set to override whatever you enter in your application, and just as you can select "force on" (regardless of the app setting), you can also select force off (again regardless of what's in the app...)

4 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

No, again, the setting can be set to override whatever you enter in your application, and just as you can select "force on" (regardless of the app setting), you can also select force off (again regardless of what's in the app...)

You seem to be missing my point.
I am not saying these NVCP options do not exist.
I'm saying usually P3D will sync to the monitor refresh rate with it's own in-game Vsync option just fine.
NVCP Vsync options are just not required in this case.
If P3D internal Vsync is not working that is another matter.

gb.

11 minutes ago, gboz said:

You seem to be missing my point.
I am not saying these NVCP options do not exist.
I'm saying usually P3D will sync to the monitor refresh rate with it's own in-game Vsync option just fine.
NVCP Vsync options are just not required in this case.
If P3D internal Vsync is not working that is another matter.

gb.

We're talking about same and different things... :P

yes, it should work fine, *but* if NVCP is set to ignore your application, it will not "work fine"... that is why I suggested he check this. 

Or tu put it another way: the option os not "required", but if it has been previosuly set to always off then yes, you will need to change it...

On 03/05/2017 at 2:07 AM, edpatino said:

I understand, but I'm having also tearing while browsing, so that's why I've also turned VSync ON as a global setting.

What do you mean tearing while browsing?

That does not sound like game motion tearing.

gb.

1 hour ago, gboz said:

What do you mean tearing while browsing?

Hi, I mean I have also some tearing when scrolling thru text while browsing on the internet, apart of the in-game tearing with P3D. After all things discussed before done and after updating to the latest nvidia drivers (382.05) I'm still having the tearing issues.

Ed

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

Hi, I mean I have also some tearing when scrolling thru text while browsing on the internet, apart of the in-game tearing with P3D.

Do you means vertical (up/down) scrolling?

gb.

40 minutes ago, gboz said:

Do you means vertical (up/down) scrolling?

gb.

Well, yes, it's something like some blurring in some lines of text (like two or three lines of text that blurs or tears).

Ed

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

Well, yes, it's something like some blurring in some lines of text (like two or three lines of text that blurs or tears).

Ed

If there is no left/right displacement of characters and the text just appears blurry  and maybe changes colour a little then I've seen that on all the monitors I've owned. You just have to scroll fast enough to see it. That's not a v-sync issue.

gb.

43 minutes ago, gboz said:

If there is no left/right displacement of characters and the text just appears blurry  and maybe changes colour a little then I've seen that on all the monitors I've owned. You just have to scroll fast enough to see it. That's not a v-sync issue.

gb.

Yes, your description matches pretty well what's happening here when I scroll fast enough, as you said. What I don't really remember is having the same issue with my previous monitor, that's why this is confusing to me.

Good to know you think that's nothing to do with VSync.

Thanks, Ed

4 hours ago, edpatino said:

Good to know you think that's nothing to do with VSync.

Ed,

I had this on my new ASUS HD monitor and it was because I had a dvi-d to hdmi cable running from the graphics card to the monitor.

A shake of the monitors box still in the cupboard underneath the stairs had a hdmi to hdmi cable fall out, still in its plastic wrapper and boom, problem gone.

If this is already your set up, I'm out!

Regards,

Mark

4 hours ago, mwa05 said:

If this is already your set up

Yes, it is :blush:, HDMI to HDMI and tried with two different HDMI cable already, no luck. Thanks.

Cheers, Ed

Thanks to those fellow members who helped me in finding the solution to this tearing problems. After several attempts:

1. VSync ON both in-sim and in NVCP with Triple Buffering ON in both too,

2. Changed HDMI cable. Changed also connection from HDMI1 to HDMI2 port behind my new monitor,

3. Verified that VSync was working well inside the sim (limiting FPS to 60) with very low settings and VSync OFF and ON,

4. Uninstalled latest driver 382.05 completely in safe mode using DDU. Reinstalled same driver 382.05.

Seems to me that the key action here was the uninstalling and reinstalling of the video driver using DDU. In total, I did this three times and after the last clean install everything is working well with no tearing!. Using the latest 382.05, so far so good!.

Thanks, Ed