Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

PFD in a web browser

Hello,

I have developed a PFD prototype that runs in a web browser, so that it can run on a PC or on a smartphone, a tablet, iPad, iPhone, Android, ...
I have published a raw video to show that it works well, even on a low-end Android tablet. It is available here: 

Before going further in the development, I would like to know if this has any kind of interest for you. If so, please let me know, I would be happy to get your opinion about this.

Thanks,
Eric

Hello Eric

If you were to complete it, what other functionality would you be adding? I might not use it as I prefer the older types of aircraft but I'm always fascinated by people who take the time to push FSX beyond the expected boundaries.

-Dai

Eric,

I think web interaction is a fun and interesting expansion to flight sim gauge development.  I'm working on a tablet based javascript / html gps-nav-comm.  A traditional gps related gauge takes up too much real estate on my panel, so I'd like to get it onto a tablet.  See this thread, FSDeveloper HttpX 2.  HttpX 2.0 is the lynch-pin of that effort.

Keep up the work on your PFD.  It looks great!

Bob

On 23/05/2017 at 3:16 PM, dragonflightdesign said:

Hello Eric

If you were to complete it, what other functionality would you be adding? I might not use it as I prefer the older types of aircraft but I'm always fascinated by people who take the time to push FSX beyond the expected boundaries.

-Dai

Indeed, the prototype I show here is a glass-cockpit PFD. I have improved it with airpseed on the left and altitude on the right, it works perfect.

I also made a test with a rotating bitmap and it works just as good. It means I can easily develop old-style gauge with background and needle, such as airspeed "badin" indicator or altimeter. I can also make a rotating bitmap like a compass, in fact, any "standard" gauge can be coded using this technology. I will create a new prototype as soon as I find nice bitmaps for this.

Eric

On 23/05/2017 at 6:17 PM, Propwash said:

Eric,

I think web interaction is a fun and interesting expansion to flight sim gauge development.  I'm working on a tablet based javascript / html gps-nav-comm.  A traditional gps related gauge takes up too much real estate on my panel, so I'd like to get it onto a tablet.  See this thread, FSDeveloper HttpX 2.  HttpX 2.0 is the lynch-pin of that effort.

Keep up the work on your PFD.  It looks great!

Bob

HttpX is a very interesting initiative, just like WebSimConnect that I also know. Even if I didn't look at them in details yet, it seems to me that these are developer oriented tools, whereas I would like to provide a ready-to-use system for end users who know nothing about http, sockets, dll...

My PFD uses Node.js as a web server with javascript code running on the server side, this is very convenient. I will go further in the development, hoping I cna show you more very soon, I have many ideas for improvement and other usages of this technology.

Eric