Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Overclock On Z170 & i7 6700k

12 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Great stuff!

This was the Die Mate 2 was it?

No, I bought some piece of rubbish on eBay, but after it fell apart before even using it, I did it by hand with a one sided razor blade. Spent over an hour just very carefully going round it. When ever i was growing impatient, I put it down and went back to it later. I also spent a great deal of time, very gently 'cross hatching' the all mating surfaces with a gentle abrasive pad.

If Intel put just a little more effort into their own production, then how much cooler these babies would run. I guess its all about productions costs though....

On 2017-6-9 at 1:00 PM, Dougal said:

No, I bought some piece of rubbish on eBay, but after it fell apart before even using it, I did it by hand with a one sided razor blade. Spent over an hour just very carefully going round it. When ever i was growing impatient, I put it down and went back to it later. I also spent a great deal of time, very gently 'cross hatching' the all mating surfaces with a gentle abrasive pad.

If Intel put just a little more effort into their own production, then how much cooler these babies would run. I guess its all about productions costs though....

"Cross hatching" what did you cross hatch? I hope not the die or PCB. 

Did you re-glue the IHS or let float. I re-glued mine with a minuscule amount of UHU high temp silicone.

As for Intel, they have to mass produce the CPU's, not like me and you that can spend time carefully applying liquid metal. In addition, they have to use a TIM (Dow Corning) that will last and not deteriorate over time, as they can't reapply like we can. 

The ideal method is soldering of course, and the sceptics are correct, TIM is indeed a more cost effective solution than solder. However, there are other reason Intel switched to TIM. Environmental reasons and technical reasons. So i don't blame them for doing it to be honest.

On the other hand, AMD are still soldering, so they don't seem to be too bothered about technical difficulties etc.

On 2017-6-10 at 1:42 PM, martin-w said:

"Cross hatching" what did you cross hatch? I hope not the die or PCB. 

Did you re-glue the IHS or let float. I re-glued mine with a minuscule amount of UHU high temp silicone.

As for Intel, they have to mass produce the CPU's, not like me and you that can spend time carefully applying liquid metal. In addition, they have to use a TIM (Dow Corning) that will last and not deteriorate over time, as they can't reapply like we can. 

The ideal method is soldering of course, and the sceptics are correct, TIM is indeed a more cost effective solution than solder. However, there are other reason Intel switched to TIM. Environmental reasons and technical reasons. So i don't blame them for doing it to be honest.

On the other hand, AMD are still soldering, so they don't seem to be too bothered about technical difficulties etc.

Missed this one Martin - sorry!  Cross hatched the top of the heat sink and the copper cooler base;-)  Then used the Liquid Ultra on that too. That gave me another 4-6 degs

Didn't glue it either. just left it floating for now.  Seems rock solid in situ though.

I was hoping to be able to clock higher than previously, but it looks like my CPU tops out at 4.8ghz whatever i do. To keep it completely stable, I've brought it down to 4.7 and the temps are just brilliant! Well pleased with the job.

16 hours ago, Dougal said:

Missed this one Martin - sorry!  Cross hatched the top of the heat sink and the copper cooler base;-)  Then used the Liquid Ultra on that too. That gave me another 4-6 degs

Didn't glue it either. just left it floating for now.  Seems rock solid in situ though.

I was hoping to be able to clock higher than previously, but it looks like my CPU tops out at 4.8ghz whatever i do. To keep it completely stable, I've brought it down to 4.7 and the temps are just brilliant! Well pleased with the job.

4.8 even if you increase volts?

Bit of an issue with my daughters PC. Seems the Z270I Strix is having cold boot issues. According to the ROG forum, lots of others have had issues too. Seems a new BIOS is needed.

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

4.8 even if you increase volts?

Bit of an issue with my daughters PC. Seems the Z270I Strix is having cold boot issues. According to the ROG forum, lots of others have had issues too. Seems a new BIOS is needed.

Doesn't seem to matter what voltage i use, some stress tests fail after a while at 4.8ghz.  According to AIDA64, its not the cpu iteself that's failing, but its cache. I may try tinkering further but, tbh, the difference between 4.7 & 4.8 is pretty negligible.

I get occasional cold boot issues with my Z170 Deluxe.  I was hoping that the RMA replacement of my mobo would fix it, but it still happens sometimes. Maybe it's a cpu thing, but i doubt it.

Cold boot issues often require CPU VCCIO and CPU System Agent voltages to be tweaked I recall. Too much can be unstable just as too little can.

It seems to be memory training fail, have you differnt mode settings in advanced mem.

Some have problem with b-die mem sticks, 

15 hours ago, westman said:

It seems to be memory training fail, have you differnt mode settings in advanced mem.

Some have problem with b-die mem sticks, 

I don't understand your question:-/

RAM is 16gb (2x8gb) DDR4 3200xmp

I have another question too...  There seems to be some contradiction regarding exactly HOW to apply the memory XMP.  When selecting XMP in the BIOS, there's then a question of whether or not to say yes or no to applying the rest of the advanced xmp settings.  Some tutorials say 'yes', while others say answer 'no' ??? I'm not totally sure of what this actually does?

Sorry Dougal I missed this.

Asus multicore enhancement Turbos all cores.

Intel Turbo on the other hand only applies Turbo boost to some cores.

You're manually overclocking though so ignore it.