Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Airport Scenery Spinning

Late last night, flying a BA variant 747-400, EGCC(Manchester)-FSIA(Seychelles)all lined up to land at Aerosoft's Seychelles X, AS2016 weather, runway visible, all looking good, hand-fling approach, 154kts, flaps 30, then all of a sudden at 500ft just before the threshold, the whole scenery starts spinning in an uncontrollable fashion, and there was no way to stop it. Aircraft was by now on the deck and still the whole airport scenery was spinning clockwise. Had to exit the flight.

Has anyone ever experienced this weird behaviour before? Has never ever before happened to me.

Maybe pushed a button accidentally, & went into slew mode?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Hi Robin. Thanks for that, never thought about that. But I am fairly positive that all I was doing at the time was right-hand controlling the approach to land via my MS FF2 joystick and left-hand primed for the reverse thrust. But, as you hint, I may have accidentally hit another button, but surely would not a slew go fast forward at a rate of knots rather than just spinning around continually in circles?

Sometimes, depending on control settings. More often than not, when I hit slew, the world spins. This is dependant on rudder settings, trim settings or a combination. 

Basically, an engine off situation, everything centered, will not cause any spinning, but forward motion when the stick is pushed. 

It's caught me unawares at times.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

4 hours ago, vc10man said:

but surely would not a slew go fast forward at a rate of knots rather than just spinning around continually in circles?

No.

When you first plugged your hardware into FSX/P3D, it auto-assigned things for you by setting up pitch, roll, yaw, and thrust based off of assumptions about the hardware (i.e. those assumptions can be wrong, and you probably reassigned some of them). Knowing that it attempts to assign things for you, have you ever looked at the slew assignments that it made as well? I can guarantee that it assigned an axis to the slew command that'll spin you around your vertical axis, and since it isn't a normal axis that you mess with, you probably never looked. Not all of your axes sit at the mid-point (see how throttles present themselves when at idle or full), so one of those was likely hard-over, causing the spins.

Never assume, and always have a look around.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle

Thanks for that correction. I did select a profile for the 747-400 from FSUIPC. Maybe that had something to do with it. I have now made at least 100 flights with the OoTS II, and this was the first I experienced anything like this or in previous iterations of FS.

Nevertheless, thanks for the input. Will try the same flight another day as it is a very long flight.

Yeah definitely look at the slew assignments.  I've had this very problem.  Delete all key commands you don't use.  Keep it clean. If a controller gets unplugged then FSX starts assigning commands to "help."  Not much help at all really.

Dan Downs KCRP

Update

Finally nailed this. Tried another flight at an add-on Cairo Intl. Just about to taxi, pushed the MS FF2 throttle forward, and lo and behold, slewing. Tested with the default Cessna. No thrust. Then it dawned on me that I had selected some setting in my FSUIPC for the 747-400 profile. Deleted the .INI file and re-started, All now as it should be