Sign in to follow this  
BusheFlyer

Memory, 64bit and you.

Just a post because I keep reading comments about memory usage in P3D 4.0. I think there is a certain amount of lack of understanding over how memory management works in a 64 bit operating system along with a 64 bit application.

Applications require a certain amount of ram in order to function.. I have no idea what P3D NEEDS.. but my best guess is around 2-3GB's.

Windows will basically look at it's available free memory and assign it to processes as required. The objective is to use as much of the free unused ram as possible. Therefore.. whilst P3D's NEEDS 2-3GB's it will be assigned a much larger amount to make use of. If all that is available is say 5GB then P3D will happily operate within that budget, it just means it will unload things from memory at a much higher rate than if it had 32GB available.

Rushing out and buying memory is unlikely to give you better performance of the sim to any noticeable degree unless you are truly starved of it (2GB-4GB).

If you are running P3D my message is stop worrying about your RAM usage! I believe people see P3D utilizing 16GB of ram over a long session and believe that it needs to be given more. Conceivably over a very intensive and extremely long session cirlcing the global.. P3D could use up all of 128GB+ of ram. Performance benefit.. negligible to zero.

55 minutes ago, BusheFlyer said:

Just a post because I keep reading comments about memory usage in P3D 4.0. I think there is a certain amount of lack of understanding over how memory management works in a 64 bit operating system along with a 64 bit application.

Applications require a certain amount of ram in order to function.. I have no idea what P3D NEEDS.. but my best guess is around 2-3GB's.

Windows will basically look at it's available free memory and assign it to processes as required. The objective is to use as much of the free unused ram as possible. Therefore.. whilst P3D's NEEDS 2-3GB's it will be assigned a much larger amount to make use of. If all that is available is say 5GB then P3D will happily operate within that budget, it just means it will unload things from memory at a much higher rate than if it had 32GB available.

Rushing out and buying memory is unlikely to give you better performance of the sim to any noticeable degree unless you are truly starved of it (2GB-4GB).

If you are running P3D my message is stop worrying about your RAM usage! I believe people see P3D utilizing 16GB of ram over a long session and believe that it needs to be given more. Conceivably over a very intensive and extremely long session cirlcing the global.. P3D could use up all of 128GB+ of ram. Performance benefit.. negligible to zero.

Uhm - I seriously doubt that's how the sim and/or Windows operate... :huh:

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I believe that P3DV4 has been optimized to load way more data into memory than previous versions.

So, more memory (both RAM and VRAM) will be useful.

Now there comes a point of diminishing return, I grant you that, but 2-3 GB is not that number..

Bert

lol

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |