Radial9

Seeking Advice Ultimate Hardware Controllers

Looking to buy a new keyboard and mouse JUST for P3Dv4 and (maybe, havent decided yet) FSX SE. Still doing research on it.

Don't mind paying a premium for "the good stuff". Anyone have a combo they want to rave and rant about? Will upgrade to new yoke and pedals down the road.

Getting back into the hobby after a few years off from a 12 year run. Seeing P3Dv4 come out in 64bit is just too temping. I really thought the hobby was going away.

It's nice in this case to be wrong.

Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:22 PM, Radial9 said:

Looking to buy a new keyboard and mouse JUST for P3Dv4 and (maybe, havent decided yet) FSX SE. Still doing research on it.

Don't mind paying a premium for "the good stuff". Anyone have a combo they want to rave and rant about? Will upgrade to new yoke and pedals down the road.

Getting back into the hobby after a few years off from a 12 year run. Seeing P3Dv4 come out in 64bit is just too temping. I really thought the hobby was going away.

It's nice in this case to be wrong.

Thanks.

Best keyboards, period, are from Deck http://www.deckkeyboards.com/products .  I've had an 84 (now an 82) for 8 years and I love it.  Keyboard lighting is adjustable and you can buy new keys or lights if needed.

Any old mouse will do.  You don't need a gaming mouse if you don't want to spend the money.  I use the Amazon Basics wireless at $9 online.

I just upgraded to the YOKO yoke and TQ6 throttle by VirtualFly. https://www.virtual-fly.com/en/product/controls Top notch, if you want to spend the money.   MFG Crosswind rudder pedals are hands down the best. http://mfg.simundza.com/products.

If you want to spend less, I used to have the CH Eclipse yoke, CH Pro-Pedals and CH throttle quadrant.  All worked flawlessly for seven years before the new equipment.  I highly recommend them.

On 07/06/2017 at 9:22 PM, Radial9 said:

Looking to buy a new keyboard and mouse JUST for P3Dv4 and (maybe, havent decided yet) FSX SE.

Unless you really want the high-end features like backlighting, anti ghosting and keyboard macros, there's no compelling reason to go for an expensive/gaming keyboard just for flight simming. Unless you're playing first-person-shooters you're not worrying about key bounce or ultra-fast key response times. I've been happily using the same, fairly basic, Microsoft keyboard daily for many years without any problems.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:20 AM, vortex681 said:

Unless you really want the high-end features like backlighting . . .

Hi-I fly in a dimly lit room to avoid glare, especially if I'm doing night flying.  Without the backlighting I can't see the keyboard.  I do agree with you that if backlighting is not needed then a basic keyboard is fine.