Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rondon9898

Standby ASI bugs

4 posts in this topic

Hi chaps I'm not one to pick holes in PMDG aircraft as they are superb and I'm loving the QOTS II at the mo - but I just noticed that the standby ASI (analogue) has no plastic bugs for setting speed references as backup/aide memoire. Has this simply not been modelled or am I missing something in the plethora of options in the FMS menu?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

15 hours ago, rondon9898 said:

Has this simply not been modelled or am I missing something in the plethora of options in the FMS menu?

Not modeled. If you look around, it's hit or miss that the airline flies with them.

Thanks for letting me know Kyle. I'm flying BA who I think do use them, which is why I asked, but it's only a tiny thing. Just curious really.

John,

I believe some airlines, like BA, do indeed have them fitted to the B744 standby ASI; but as Kyle rightly says not all of them do.  They are used primarily as part of the QRH procedure for a double FMC failure, so unless you want to try out this procedure they are not absolutely essential.  I do know that memory limitations and the number of animations possible in FSX might explain why they have not been modelled in the QOTS III. 

Like you, I would love to see them modelled and individually moveable in those airline liveries that have them - along with lots of other goodies now that we are moving on in the Flightsim world to programs like P3Dv4 and Xplane11.  Maybe one day PMDG will model a working galley so that we can all make ourselves a cup of tea or coffee in flight and grab the First Class cheese tray?

Bertie Goddard