Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Virtavia XB-70 & Winds aloft..

Public safety announcement - the Valkyrie doesn't like the wind up her!

I finally purchased Pete Dowson's FSUIPC4 the other week, mainly because I finally decided I should fly the big iron with winds aloft and it must be said that so far the wind smoothing function works well. I think I've only had one incidence of overspeed and even then it was brief and didn't cause much of an issue.

However, tonight I discovered that the XB-70 cannot deal with any winds aloft once she goes supersonic. She begins to bank one way then after a little while banks the other way, then even further until she rolls over. I was watching the wind readout from the status line (shift-z) and even when it was steady in one direction, the plane exhibited the same behaviour.

Once I'd turned off winds aloft via FSOpen Clouds, she flew as she should - I jockeyed the throttle(s) and vertical speed through the transonic and supersonic phases. Manchester to Reykjavik in not a lot of time! :blink: :cool:

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Are you dropping your wingtips down to enable the "compression lift" function? That might help to steady the aircraft once you pass super-sonic and start toward MACH 3. 

Hi Charlie. Yes - 1/2 down between M0.95 to M1.4 then full down after that. I don't think she'd actually get anywhere close to M3.0 without the droop to be honest. Your input is appreciated! :cool: