Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

And, off we go to New Zealand...

final, few shots, before I head out and depth-explore New Zealand!   Such peace of mind...breaking through the clouds with the rugged mountain tops cutting through...so peaceful, with the fabulous sound of the Panthera strokin' the music: I have 5 speaker Dolby Surround Sound engaged...and the immersion is absolute!  Cheers!

panthera_26.png

panthera_25.png

panthera_20.png

panthera_16.png

panthera_17.png

panthera_18.png

panthera_19.png

• Upvote 1

"We've obtained our cruise altitude of 12,000 ASL, and have the Beatles's Abby Road playing through the cockpit stereo system.  Life is good.  Cheers, all!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

panthera_36.png

panthera_37.png

panthera_38.png

panthera_39.png

panthera_33.png

panthera_32.png

"...and the clouds yield to a rugged and gorgeous, New Zealand below the wing!  Good afternoon, everyone..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

panthera_44.png

panthera_42.png

Superb shots Mitch, I'm still yet to generate the South Island, I'm only half done on the North at the moment :). Much exploring to do

19 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Superb shots Mitch, I'm still yet to generate the South Island, I'm only half done on the North at the moment :). Much exploring to do

Thank's Tony.  I have to tell ya...seeing the real thing...this is ONE RUGGED country!  You'd better not live here, with heart issues! :bengong:

I am right now re-cutting the whole of New Zealand with NZ as the source.  I found ARC's depiction, too bland, and when I did a test-cut of NZ around Christchurch, there was ten times more ground detail, than ARC, and seemed crisper even with the same zl17 that I did ARC with. So...will post some shots as soon as the South and North islands are complete.

:)

The issue with that is that LINZ is really slow and they only allow a small amount of traffic a day. Also, the quality is pretty bad on the south island. It might take you a very long time to get it all.

For the north, give this a go, it's already using LINZ, but has been colour corrected. https://mildlyalert.wordpress.com/lyndimans-new-zealand-ortho-photography-set/

9 hours ago, tonywob said:

The issue with that is that LINZ is really slow and they only allow a small amount of traffic a day. Also, the quality is pretty bad on the south island. It might take you a very long time to get it all.

For the north, give this a go, it's already using LINZ, but has been colour corrected. https://mildlyalert.wordpress.com/lyndimans-new-zealand-ortho-photography-set/

Thanks, Tony. It did take a very long time...about 3/4 of an hour for just one tile comprising my 'test bed tile' of Christchurch.  After the download...though...totally superior graphics to ARC. Totally...but as you say...I'd die of old age, before one island was put to bed.  I just downloaded BI on my Christchurch tile...and will take a flight over it shortly. That is my fastest 3 tiles per hour source to date.  If I like it, better than my ARC, then I will start the total 2 island conversion. If not...then will just fly New Zealand with ARC. It's not a 'dog'...but I have seen (on my system) better sat captures, with even BI(ng), or GO2.

What I am certainly being made aware of...is that not one satellite image, ALL satellite imagery. Nope...nope....even if the zl factor is the same across the board.

Mitch

On 7/11/2017 at 3:30 AM, tonywob said:

Superb scenery Mitch, I envy the amount of storage you have and speed you can create orthos. A single ZL17 tile can take my machine about 3hrs to generate on a good day :)

What's your download bandwidth Tony?  I have a slow 8 Mbits connection and my tile generation time per zl17 is the same as yours.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

On 7/11/2017 at 7:31 AM, Sesquashtoo said:

3 hours?!?!?!?  Wow.

I guess that I am doing alright, then. For my normal zl17/19/2, about 3 tiles per hour upon North America, and 2.5 per hour for Europe.  I'm about half-way done for all of New Zealand this morning, have another 28 tiles to generate out of the 62 or so to start the project, then cover, and to put to bed both islands. :)

I'm eyeing Tasmania as well...while I'm in the neighborhood, lol.

Spain is looking real good...and can't wait just to toddle down the coast from Bilbao, to start exploring.  I have to take some shoots for Jcomm, in Portugal,  and will do that as soon as I finish up generating New Zealand. About the storage, that was added when I decided how seriously 'in' I was for Ortho4XP.  I had the 5,4, and 2's TB's...but added the four 8TB's after my hard decision to go full-out ortho for XP11.

Cheers,

Mitch'er

Mitch, you mentioned somewhere that you can set Ortho4XP to shutdown at the end of the batch conversion.  Did you set the shutdown option on the last tile only to get this done?  When I tried and by not using any specific per tile config, after the first tile in my batch Ortho4XP would quit and shutdown.  So I speculate that I need to use per tile config and on the last tile, specify Ortho4XP to shutdown.  Is that how it works? Plus you fast tile cutting must be due to your fast machine and fat pipe, I gather.  I am using a laptop to cut tile, and its speed is only in the 2.3 Ghz, and my pipe is slower, so like Tony, I using 2.5 hr per tile at zl17.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

On 7/14/2017 at 7:41 AM, tonywob said:

Good find Tony.  Thx and thanks to the author too.

Vu Pham

24 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

What's your download bandwidth Tony?  I have a slow 8 Mbits connection and my tile generation time per zl17 is the same as yours.

I'm on 6mbps, but when I connect to my faster LTE connection, it still takes 2-3hrs. I think the conversion stage is the slowest for me

On 7/15/2017 at 8:20 AM, Anxu00 said:

Mitch, you mentioned somewhere that you can set Ortho4XP to shutdown at the end of the batch conversion.  Did you set the shutdown option on the last tile only to get this done?  When I tried and by not using any specific per tile config, after the first tile in my batch Ortho4XP would quit and shutdown.  So I speculate that I need to use per tile config and on the last tile, specify Ortho4XP to shutdown.  Is that how it works? Plus you fast tile cutting must be due to your fast machine and fat pipe, I gather.  I am using a laptop to cut tile, and its speed is only in the 2.3 Ghz, and my pipe is slower, so like Tony, I using 2.5 hr per tile at zl17.

I turn on that System Shut-Down, and highlight that choice in the appropriate letter box, before I start my Batch Tiles.  When all my tiles that are Batch Thatched, as selected are done, only then, does Ortho4XP shut itself down, and also trigger a complete system shutdown.  

My M.O. for conquering the world, is to batch 100-150 tiles, and have Mr. Ortho shut down the system once through. That way, you set it up at night, and in a day or two, the system is off, and the tiles are ready to fly.

I'm just about done my Australia and Tasmania run...and then am going to hit the Philippines up, for a few. After that...perhaps Japan...and take in beautiful Mt. Fuji. :)

I have a pretty fast download pipe, and my system doesn't lag much behind it.   I can generate on average on North America, at zl17/19/2, three tiles per hour, and the same cook setting, on Europe, at 2.5 tiles per hour. This with also every visual/graphic feature as turned on, in the Ortho4XP. cfg file.  If you like my screen shots, you are looking at the cumulative effects of all the extra options turned on. They do not come as enabled, by the Ortho4XP default settings. You have to set them up, as enabled (True or False), before a tile generation is attempted, and if you do change enable/disable any of those features, you need to shut-down Ortho4XP, and then run it again, so it sniffs the .cfg file that it always does, only upon start-up of the program.

7 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I'm just about done my Australia and Tasmania run...and then am going to hit the Philippines up, for a few. After that...perhaps Japan...and take in beautiful Mt. Fuji. :)

Thanks I will try that with my next batch.  Which image source are using for Australia and Tasmania?  Are you doing a trial tile with each data source to find out?  

Unless I use two separate instance of Ortho4XP, my laptop cannot do a tile in less than 2-3 hours.  Your build rate is just with a single instance of Ortho4XP?  three tiles per hour?  That really fast.

Vu Pham

On 7/12/2017 at 3:22 PM, Sesquashtoo said:

"...and the clouds yield to a rugged and gorgeous, New Zealand below the wing!  Good afternoon, everyone..."

What resolution and setting are you using to get 37-38 FPS?  your CPU is actually older than mine, although your video card is GTX1070, whereas mine is a GTX 980, it can't be that much slower?  With the Panthera, I will lucky to get 25 FPS, and my resolution is 2560x1600.  Objects is at Max, shadow is low, 2xSSAA+FXAA, High Texture, so nothing that stressing (except that objects slider) was that my bad?  (btw,I am using XP11)

Vu Pham