gstreet

DC6 Oil Temperature

7 posts in this topic

I have lost my oil temperature indication in engine #2. I have about 13 gallons of oil left in the engine and my oil pressure is in the green. Is this caused by low oil or something else? I looked in the manual for this problem but was unable to find it. 

Thanks for your help!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The POH recommends that no takeoff be made with less than 15 gal., but I'd be leery of anything below 20 gal.  The POH description of the oil temperature probe is pretty vague, simply it is a sensor in the oil tank outlet.  I'd expect a temperature reading unless the tanks were empty.  Oil system starts on pg. 59.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, downscc said:

The POH recommends that no takeoff be made with less than 15 gal., but I'd be leery of anything below 20 gal.  The POH description of the oil temperature probe is pretty vague, simply it is a sensor in the oil tank outlet.  I'd expect a temperature reading unless the tanks were empty.  Oil system starts on pg. 59.

Thanks for the reply!

 

I figured there would be a reading unless the tanks were empty as well, but I am always amazed at the new things I can learn with PMDG aircraft. I will read over it again in the manual and see if I missed something. 

 

Thanks

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2017 at 11:31 PM, gstreet said:

Thanks for the reply!

 

I figured there would be a reading unless the tanks were empty as well, but I am always amazed at the new things I can learn with PMDG aircraft. I will read over it again in the manual and see if I missed something. 

 

Thanks

Although I haven't got the DC6 yet..waiting for p3d version release, I can't understand why you would relate oil temp with oil quantity, it doesn't matter how much oil you have in the tank it's not really going to affect the temp, if you don't have any temp indication on #2 I think it would be a good idea to check the circuit breaker!, I believe that they are all functional?.   

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ROBINJAMES said:

Although I haven't got the DC6 yet..waiting for p3d version release, I can't understand why you would relate oil temp with oil quantity, it doesn't matter how much oil you have in the tank it's not really going to affect the temp, if you don't have any temp indication on #2 I think it would be a good idea to check the circuit breaker!, I believe that they are all functional?.   

I obviously don't know which is why I asked the question, but it was the only thing I could find that was off and I was thinking maybe no oil= no oil temp. Again that was just my line of thinking I am not saying it was correct. Thanks for that idea I will check the circuit breaker I didn't even think of that. :laugh:

 

Thanks!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ROBINJAMES said:

Although I haven't got the DC6 yet..waiting for p3d version release, I can't understand why you would relate oil temp with oil quantity, it doesn't matter how much oil you have in the tank it's not really going to affect the temp, if you don't have any temp indication on #2 I think it would be a good idea to check the circuit breaker!, I believe that they are all functional?.   

It is reasonable to assume that it is possible for the temperature sensor bulb to become uncovered if the tank is low.  I'd be surprised to find separate CBs for each temperature gauge, I believe there is just one for engine instruments but I don't have it open to verify. Regardless, the CB functions are generally not simulated except for a few that have ON/OFF switches.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, downscc said:

It is reasonable to assume that it is possible for the temperature sensor bulb to become uncovered if the tank is low.  I'd be surprised to find separate CBs for each temperature gauge, I believe there is just one for engine instruments but I don't have it open to verify. Regardless, the CB functions are generally not simulated except for a few that have ON/OFF switches.

Yes this is what I was thinking but again I have no idea. 

 

Thanks for the replies!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites