Sign in to follow this  
exodus1977

Help using a python script with Ortho4XP

I've been filling hard drives with photo scenery using Ortho4XP...works great.

But I want to go back and quickly add overlays to a large number of tiles. I have a python script to do just that specific task (which apparently runs a lot faster).

Could someone help me get this going? I can't get the gui window to open.

Here is the script:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/37102-overlays-batch-builder-for-ortho4xp/

"Requirements notes: you need a fully working python environment with all the Ortho4XP dependencies installed. If you are just running the Ortho4XP executable, you may need to install these dependencies. Installation: Drop this script under the Ortho4XP folder Running the script: Run the python interpreter in the usual way:

python Overlays_batch_builder_4_Ortho4XP.py"

I wonder why you just don't create an overlay as you generate each tile in Batch?

If you are doing what I am doing...flying with Overlays only when you want to...there is a much easier way...to have them 'in' or 'out'.  Let me know if this is what you are doing...

perhaps running clean ortho in daytime ops...but ortho with overlays enables for all other times of the 24 hour cycle. This is what I do...

Mitch

10 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I wonder why you just don't create an overlay as you generate each tile in Batch?

If you are doing what I am doing...flying with Overlays only when you want to...there is a much easier way...to have them 'in' or 'out'.  Let me know if this is what you are doing...

perhaps running clean ortho in daytime ops...but ortho with overlays enables for all other times of the 24 hour cycle. This is what I do...

Mitch

As to the first point, I do tick the checkbox to generate overlays during batch tile generation. Admittedly, there have been a couple of times that I've queued up a large overnight batch and forgot to set overlay generation. So, that's my first problem. The second is that I've used multiple computers to generate tiles. Ultimately, all the tiles make their way to a centralized storage system, but some of those "other" computers didn't have the overlay source data so, I couldn't generate overlays.

At this point, I've generated ZL17 orthos for the entire continental USA, Hawaii, the Caribbean islands and a chunk of Europe. I'd estimate that at least 60% has overlay data, but there is no way to easily tell what does and what doesn't. Also, I've discovered the "decal" setting and would like to add it to all tiles as well (there is another quick python script to just add decals). The Ortho4XP.exe program can certainly do all of this, but it takes a ridiculously long time for what is actually just a singular task. These python scripts get to the point and apparently work extremely fast.

As you mention, running overlays when I want to may be an option (one I have not explored) but if I don't have the overlay data to begin with....

I'm not familiar with python and just need someone to enlighten me how to run a python script. Its syntax is completely new to me. Once I get that GUI open, I should be set.

On 7/21/2017 at 11:23 AM, exodus1977 said:

I've been filling hard drives with photo scenery using Ortho4XP...works great.

But I want to go back and quickly add overlays to a large number of tiles. I have a python script to do just that specific task (which apparently runs a lot faster).

Could someone help me get this going? I can't get the gui window to open.

Here is the script:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/37102-overlays-batch-builder-for-ortho4xp/

"Requirements notes: you need a fully working python environment with all the Ortho4XP dependencies installed. If you are just running the Ortho4XP executable, you may need to install these dependencies. Installation: Drop this script under the Ortho4XP folder Running the script: Run the python interpreter in the usual way:

python Overlays_batch_builder_4_Ortho4XP.py"

Let me know (us) how you fare...

I'm always eye's open, for good usage tips!

Mitch