Sign in to follow this  
VOJu24

Autopilot Electrical Release button

Hey all,

After flying the two tutorials, I decided it might be a good idea to read up on the autopilot.

Are the electrical release buttons modeled in the VC? I just didn't know where to search them based on the description in the POH.

What really puzzled me was section 7.13.3 After Starting A-12 Autopilot, in particular Steps 6 and 8:

It says to press the electrical release button in step 6, and it should switch off the pilot and altitude control switches automatically Step 7 just checks freedom of movement and Step 8 says the approach-ready light should be on. The first thing that's puzzling is that in chapter 7.9 it says "The approach-ready light  indicates [...] that the Gyropilot has been turned on electrically." So shouldn't pressing the electrical release buttons turn off the blue approach-ready light? It just doesn't make sense to me that it should stay on, based on the rest of what I've read. But I guess I'm missing or misreading something.

That made me curious so I started experimenting with the autopilot disconnect key mentioned in the introduction manual. I have still the default z key as autopilot disconnect + additionally assigned a joystick button (through the sim menu). Interestingly they don't behave the same:

Z Keyboard key: Turns off servo engage handle (and altitude) but keeps on the pilot switch. (Electric release light is OFF after this and approach light ON). This is consistent with the introduction manual.

Joystick button: Electric release light is ON, approach light is also ON but none of the switches moved. (However the electrical release switches should automatically move the pilot and altitude switch to off). I assume this is just something like it can't read two assignments from the simulator or so(?)

Finally, a small unrelated questions: There's the throttle interlock that's connected to the gust lock. In the intro manual it states, that It can be moved left and right. I just can't find where to click to move it?

Best,

David Miller

(Using fsx boxed acceleration, Win 10 64-Bit.)

David

FSX User / Into Addons with deeper Systems Modeling / Love planes and airports and ATC

pf3-supporter.gif

I've always advocated the Z key command to be an electrical release, to mimic what happens when the pilot presses the A/P button on the yoke horn, but that proposal didn't pass muster for some reason.  I do not know which default keyboard command they used to bind to electrical release and I lost track of things.  I keep it simple and directly manipulate the controls on the A/P with the pointer (trackball in my case), sometimes opening a second window and setting it up as a way to see things while I shoot the approach.

The throttle interlock with gust lock works, but the only way I ever used it was with the gust lock.  With gust lock on, throttles for 2 & 3 will not advance much beyond half travel.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

37 minutes ago, downscc said:

I've always advocated the Z key command to be an electrical release, to mimic what happens when the pilot presses the A/P button on the yoke horn, but that proposal didn't pass muster for some reason.  I do not know which default keyboard command they used to bind to electrical release and I lost track of things.  I keep it simple and directly manipulate the controls on the A/P with the pointer (trackball in my case), sometimes opening a second window and setting it up as a way to see things while I shoot the approach.

The throttle interlock with gust lock works, but the only way I ever used it was with the gust lock.  With gust lock on, throttles for 2 & 3 will not advance much beyond half travel.

Thank you! That makes sense, I was just trying to execute those after start tests. I mean it also seems to be the recommended way in the PoH not to use the electrical release.

About the gust lock, yes just the way it is written in the introductory it says it can slide left and right, so that would also allow only locking 3 & 4 I guess? (Although now that I think about it not sure if that makes sense for a runup or whether it's dangerous, having all the power on one side.)

Best,

David Miller

Edited by VOJu24
added full name

David

FSX User / Into Addons with deeper Systems Modeling / Love planes and airports and ATC

pf3-supporter.gif

22 minutes ago, VOJu24 said:

I mean it also seems to be the recommended way in the PoH not to use the electrical release.

In the real aircraft, an electrical release simply removes the signal to the servos motors which are still attached thru the mechanical clutch so you will feel an additional drag on the yoke.  The red light tells the pilot that the clutch is still engaged.  Electrical disconnect is perfect for final approach close to minimums you want to quickly take over and fly the set down from minimums to landing.  That is a good time to use it.  If you are just boring wholes in the sky and want to disconnect the A/P then you should use the mechanical clutch to disengage the servos.

27 minutes ago, VOJu24 said:

Although now that I think about it not sure if that makes sense for a runup or whether it's dangerous, having all the power on one side.)

I never thought of that, I presumed the throttles were interlocked was to give you a clear warning that the gust lock was still engaged if you applied take off power.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

7 minutes ago, downscc said:

In the real aircraft, an electrical release simply removes the signal to the servos motors which are still attached thru the mechanical clutch so you will feel an additional drag on the yoke.  The red light tells the pilot that the clutch is still engaged.  Electrical disconnect is perfect for final approach close to minimums you want to quickly take over and fly the set down from minimums to landing.  That is a good time to use it.  If you are just boring wholes in the sky and want to disconnect the A/P then you should use the mechanical clutch to disengage the servos.

Thank you, that makes sense :)

David

pf3-supporter.gif