Sign in to follow this  
joefremont

Around the world in 175 days part 8, Bella Bella, Prince Rupert, Sitka

April 6, 1924:  Major Martin initially though a photo graphic airplane was Lt Wade in Boston so the first three aircraft headed for Prince Rupert, only later did he discover his mistake.  After flying though haze so thick they had to drop to 100 feet to pick their way around the numerous small. After passing the Johnstone strait they emerged from the fog just in time to avoid a Steamer looming just ahead.  Back into fog and over increasingly heavy seas.  They arrived at the entrance to Prince Rupert Harbor and encountered a heavy snow storm.  As Martin was about to land he could see he had too much momentum to stop before hitting the beach but not enough power to go around so he cut power and pulled up to make a stalled landing, he avoided the beach but landed with enough force to damage the left wing struts and some of the wires.  The other pilots landed safely, Lt Wade in Boston landed an hour after the others.   Lt Arnold wrote in his diary, “125 miles of fog, 275 in rain and snow, hell of a day”. Seattle was hauled into the Prince Rupert Dry Dock for repairs.

June 17, 2017:  Today I prepared the Waco UBF-2 for flight.  The Waco F-Series first flew in 1930 and was a very popular sport and training aircraft. Many of this classic aircraft are still flying and versions the aircraft are still being built.  The model I am using was made by Golden Age simulations and it is very nice to fly.  I think it’s the fourth Golden Age aircraft I have used so far.

The weather was calm but hazy, visibility between 5 and 8 miles. I was always worried that the fog would roll in so I stayed low at around 1000ft but full fog never arrived.  I few along the west coast of Princess Royal and Pitt island before arriving at Prince Rupert Harbor.  The 155 nm flight from Bella Bella took 1.5 hours.

wc.1.1.3.1.jpg
Ready for flight.

wc.1.1.3.2.jpg
Hazy conditions.

wc.1.1.3.3.jpg
Princess Royal Island.

wc.1.1.3.4.jpg
Along the way.

wc.1.1.3.5.jpg
Flying between McCauley and Pitt Islands.

wc.1.1.3.6.jpg
The town of Prince Rupert.

wc.1.1.3.7.jpg
Nice view of the cruise ship.

wc.1.1.3.8.jpg
Safe landing.

April 10, 1924:  It took about 3 days to complete the repairs to the damaged Seattle.  It was raining on the morning of the 10th but reports from along there route were encouraging so Major Martin decided they would attempt the 282 mile flight to Sitka Alaska.  That moring for the first time all four planes took off together, an hour later they passed Ketchikan at low altitude in light rain. Passing the Clarence strait about 60 miles from Sitka they encountered thick haze and had to fly low over 30 foot swells with only 100 yard visibility. As they approached the there destination, Wade recalled “The harbor sight was exhilarating, mirror like water, tiny city, snow capped peaks, and a sky full of soaring seagulls”. 

June 19, 2017:  Today from Prince Rupert I prepared the Fairey Swordfish for the flight.  The Fairebly the closest aircraft to the Douglas World Cruiser I am likely to use, unless of course someone decides to make a P3D/FSX compatible version of the DWC (please?).  Despite being considered obsolete at the start of the WW2, it was still in service when the war ended. Produced until 1944, it sank more ships than any other allied aircraft and survived past several aircraft designed to replace it. The model I am using today is made by 'Flying Stations' and is quite nice.

It was cloudy in Prince Rupert so as I left I stayed low as I headed North west over the channel. After about an hour of flying the cloud lifted and I climbed to 6000 ft so I could head directly over the mountains rather than weaving my way through the many channels.  Once I had flown over the lower peninsula of Baranof island I descended to 1500 feet and followed the along the coast to Sitka Alaska and landed after 2.3 hours of flying.  

Here are a few pics from the flight.

wc.1.2.1.jpg
Prince Rupert, BC. Ready to go

wc.1.2.2.jpg
Climbing out of Prince Rupert, BC.

wc.1.2.3.jpg
Turning toward Ketchikan Alaska

wc.1.2.4.jpg
Flying over Ketchikan Alaska

wc.1.2.5.jpg
Ah! Good flying weather.

wc.1.2.6.jpg
Flying along the coast of Baranof Island.

wc.1.2.7.jpg
Coming into Sitka Alaska.

wc.1.2.8.jpg
Landed Safe!

• Upvote 1

Nice story and great shots. Of all the screenshots, the ones showing the spun aluminium instrument panel really catch my eye. The texture looks spot on! :cool:

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Very nice shots.....love the classic airplanes....love the storyline!

HLJAMES

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Nice story and great shots. Of all the screenshots, the ones showing the spun aluminium instrument panel really catch my eye. The texture looks spot on! :cool:

5 hours ago, HLJames said:

Very nice shots.....love the classic airplanes....love the storyline!

HLJAMES

Thanks for the complements, these all great aircraft and I am glad I can showcase them.