Sign in to follow this  
joby33y

Flashing blocks over the ocean (again) P3D v4

Hi all,

Flying the PMDG 737 today in v4 for the 1st time..flying the famous Gatwick-Amsterdam flight, and I was really stunned / disappointed to see the flashing light blue blocky texture chunks over the ocean AGAIN.  I used to see this in v3 and I am really surprised its back again.  

Is this a common occurrence ? Perhaps a rogue piece of add-on scenery that causes this ?  I am stumped (and really want this to go away...I fly a lot of over-water flights).   I have ORBX global, vector and several LatinVFR airports, as well as some FlyTampa stuff.  But I feel like this is a resource issue.  

35353300624_4172af14b3_h.jpg

35353347654_d889fe7ff5_h.jpg

Any advice appreciated !  

thanks, 

JB

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

I don't see this unless I am in top down view zoomed way out over the ocean and it comes from too high of a radius detail setting (I think it was that one, one of those radius ones anyway) on my system. I turned it down a notch or two and it went away.

I think that might be your issue, but then again, this is flight sim and I suppose it could be many other things.

Good luck.

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized

Update :

I have narrowed this down to a LOD radius issue. When this issue occurs, I can reset LOD down to "medium" and the flashing stops, and tiles load correctly. I can wait a few more minutes, then sneak back up to LOD "high" and seems to behave normally.   Beachdog, thank you for the suggestion ....that is the ONLY setting which affects this / cures this behavior  

At first I thought it might be a rogue add-on, perhaps a lame airport or a non-compliant model in "ships" or "Traffic360", or a Vector conflict, but after having disabled all of that, I finally discovered that its LOD, not any of those add-ons. At least, I think so,,,,,:-) 

During the occurrence of this issue, using F12 to zoom out to 'earth level' shows a severe lack of scenery being loaded around the aircraft, as suggested by another user on the Avsim site. It's very strange indeed. 

I am bit stumped because my system, while certainly not 'top end', isn't too bad : 

MSI Aegis gaming w/ Core i7 ~3600 MHz, 16 GB DDR, Win 10 x64, nVidia GTX1070 8GB, SSD drives...

All advice appreciated ! Testing is continuing, and I'll report back any other findings....but so far, the ONLY setting which makes any difference on this issue is LOD radius setting. And of course, its not fun setting it "down". I need a tweak....

thanks, 

JB

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

Your best tweak will be to get that cpu to at least 4.0. You apparently just do not have the horsepower at your CURRENT settings to handle it. Something has to be turned down or power has to go up.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

In my case, I have plenty of power but 980GTX with only 4GB memory combined with very high settings may be the problem in my case.  CPU power (i7 7700k) may be why I only see this issue in top down view zoomed way out to see a big part of the Atlantic, for example. It is fine around the aircraft as far out as I can see, so it is not as bad as the OP's photos.

Either way, clearly a system thing where something is being overdriven in my humble opinion.

Bill Barrette

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized

I had the same problem, I had my LOD radius on MAX and it was flickering over the ocean only, lowered it down to ultra after reading this post and its fixed it!

Thanks!