Has anybody thought about using a vega64 for p3d v4?

i know nvidia is the way to go but the thing with the possibility to use system ram ehen the 8gb hbm are full sounds interessting.

is amd still a no go for p3d?

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

331BK

Hello mate.

This does not answer your query but the AMD vega 64 also comes in 16GBVRAM at a spritely USD1080 and as far as I know, still has the ability to use system RAM. 

These specs outweigh the Nvidia effort but whether or not the sims and OS have the ability to use it better than Nvidia, is probably still a mystery. I am unaware of any comparison tests at this time, but I am seeking avidly, a comparison test (flight sim platforms related) for upgrade purposes in the future. It is going to be interesting to say the least.

After a fairly serious discussion on another thread, I note that "Fastest is bestest"  in the realm of CPUs, and as such, AMD Ryzen is not really in the hunt inmy opinion. Intel reigns supreme (at the moment) in the CPU world.

GPUs are a whole new ball game and I do not know if any sim is capable of bring a GTX 1080ti to its knees, so maybe 16GB HBM VRAM is (at the moment) overkill and falls into the realm of future proofing. I guess that falls into individual  rationalising, but an interesting topic, none the less.

In summary, I realize that I probably have not helped you much. I hope, however, that the discussion will, in the long term.move on and reveal all for you.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

It seems that Vega 64 is on par with the GTX1080 (non TI) and Vega 56 challenges the GTX1070.

In some games, Vega has the advantage, in others it's the other way around.

Vega performance will get better as more optimized drivers are released, but the biggest downfall right now is the HUGE energy consumption.

Under full load gaming , a test system with a Vega 64 8GB drew 465W (!)

• Upvote 1

yes, let's see what Information we have in one or 2 months

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

13 hours ago, 331BK said:

i know nvidia is the way to go but the thing with the possibility to use system ram ehen the 8gb hbm are full sounds interessting.

Why does that sound interesting? P3D isn't VRAM constrained at most reasonable resolutions, and using system RAM is great way to cripple a GPU's performance.

neumanix nailed it - it's mediocre performance at a truly exceptional level of energy consumption. No thanks.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.