Sign in to follow this  
Dazkent

Scenery library question

Hi

I have a question regarding the scenery library in FSX which I hope someone can answer for me. I mainly fly around the UK and am builiding up a large collection of airports from the excellent UK2000. At the moment they are all selected in the scenery library, Is there any benefit to having just the departure and arrival airport selected?

kind regards

Daz

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Diaz,

If you don't get OOM (out of memory) warnings and can fly happily around the UK in the aircraft you are using then there is no real need to select just the departure and arrival airport in the scenery library.  If however you have, in addition to your UK2000 airports, a lot of other resource intensive airports or scenery such as FTX England or you are using a resource intensive aircraft such as some of those from PMDG then you may find that your VAS (virtual memory) usage is hitting the 4GB limit for FSX when OOMs will occur. Under those circumstances it can be useful just to have your arrival and departure airport active as that can reduce VAS usage.

Bill

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the advice Bill, At the moment i use FTX England and Scotland and have so far never had an OOM, have yet to take to the skies in the NGX :smile:

In the UK, the London area, particularly if all the UKXtreme airports concentrated into that area are active, is the most likely one to cause you to approach the dreaded VAS limit if you use something like the NGX. 

As well as having lots of UK scenery, I also have a ton of scenery for airports elsewhere and if I leave all the scenery areas active in the scenery library my VAS usage on startup is already quite high. For this reason I tend to deactivate most of the areas I am not using for each planned flight. 

Hopefully you will continue having an OOM free life in FSX for as long as possible Vaz but if you ever find yourself in a position where you are getting OOMs I can recommend a small addon (I think its freeware) called Process Explorer to measure VAS usage. I can also recommend the payware SimStarterNG, which is an immensely useful product enabling you to create scenery sets appropriate to the flight you are making without having to alter the scenery library each time.

Bill