Sign in to follow this  
peterdrowan

Tutorial 1 problem

Because of my Windows 10 system dying I have had to completely reinstall everything including FS and 737NGX.   As I have reinstalled from the newest PMDG install files I decided to refamiliarise myself with the 737NGX by going again through the tutorials. The most recent installs have newer and more recent fixes and navaids info than when the tutorial was wriitten and in fact most of the leg fix changes are not needed which is fine though legs are slightly different in terms of where they are on the page and are in different places so you can't slavishly follow the suggested key strokes.  However the route gives an error No descent path after NIRSI and so you cant set VNAV later.  How would you get around that error. What would you change in the route to clear it.  I can't see any obvious reason for the error.

The doc does need being made up to date as the first thing you do or should do on buying the product is follow Tutorial 1.  It is just the route section that has changed.  I am happy to post the changes if I can solve the no descent error.

Peter Rowan

The "no descent route after..." message is advisory only.  You have a VNAV path up to that point and when you get to that point factors such as speed and drag will change from prediction and usually allow the path to be completed.  Be aware there are messages that are alarms and those that are advisory and learning the difference is part of the process you are undertaking.  In this example, the first place you look is the FCOM (be aware of what  is in the QRH) and 11.60 is the FMC messages section.  This message is in the advisory table on page 11.60.16.  The recommend action is to modify speed or altitude restrictions, which is improbable because you are using published procedures so as suggested the likely outcome is the FMS cannot predict at this point what the aircraft speed and drag is going to be at that point... most likely your speed will be lower and you will be capable of greater descent angles at that time. 

This is not an uncommon advisory message.

Dan Downs KCRP

I wonder why on take-off I could set LNAV but not VNAV.   I think I did everything as requested.  I thought that that -- no descent path message was the issue but obviously not from what you have said. 

Peter Rowan

On Tutorial pg 44, do you see predicted altitudes and speeds at every waypoint?

Dan Downs KCRP