RadiacoFS

FSX Stutter Issues with Addon Aircraft

So Im having a bit of a problem, I decided it's time to get real in FSX, which means buying aircraft. So I bought the Aerosoft A320 Family Bundle With the A318/A319 A320 and A321, The PMDG 737 800/900 NGX, and the PMDG 777 Base Pack and the 300 Expansion. My FPS is decently high due to me using minimum graphics around 15-32 FPS but when it dips below around 15 fsx stutters then comes back to life, and randomly it dips down to 0.8 fps which is really random. The reason my graphics are on minimum are due to the fact that I have an Intel Core i5 M 450 and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series. It would be nice if I can get some help with this issue.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Your system is much faster than the Intel Core2 Duo Q6600 which was the top of the line computer around the time FSX was first released a little more than 10 years ago.  The Nvidia 8800GTX video card was the top of the line then too and your video card is much more powerful than what was available when FSX was first released.  Back then, we got about 15-20 fps and sometimes we were happy with 30 fps.  The key to eliminating your stuttering is to limit your FPS to 20.  You will never ever be able to eliminate it totally but it will be less noticable.  You should never set your FSX settings to the minimum graphics but they should be set to the default (when you first start up FSX, FSX will determine the best settings for your system and video card.  It misses on resolution sometimes.  With your system, you should be able to run FSX with default settings and get close to 70 fps consistently.  Just do not install any Aerosoft or PMDG aircraft...  Well, actually you could install them but you would have to keep your settings to the default.  I do not think the VC or aircraft models will look very good at default settings. 

The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide provides guidance on settings although the recommended settings are pretty high.  It also does not show settings for ATI video cards as FSX was developed with NVIDIA cards because ATI refused to upgrade their video card drivers to work with the new operating system back then, Windows Vista.  They were livid Microsoft got rid of Windows XP and to show them who's boss, they refused to upgrade the drivers until very late in the game.  So testing was done with Windows XP and Vista.  You can try the suggested settings if you keep your fps limiter no higher than 20.  If you start getting crashes, then you will know what caused it.

If you want eye-candy and faster FPS, you should get a desktop system.  Still, some members who own a system with a i7 4770K CPU with a 780GTX video card have issues too running FSX with PMDG and Aerosoft aircraft.  I have a super powerful system (see specs in my signature) and I have to hold down the settings although I can easily use the settings as suggested in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.

You might want to visit our Hardware Forum for CPU's, Motherboards, video cards and monitors to get more information about settings.  There are many people like you trying to find a system that fits and we have some computer experts who visit the forums and can provide some pretty good advice there.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

You are trying to run some of, if not the most sophisticated addon aircraft in FSX.

Your 2.4Ghz and lowly gfx card are going to be stressed, even with default low settings.

Like Jim hints, more powerful hardware is key.

3 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Your system is much faster than the Intel Core2 Duo Q6600 which was the top of the line computer around the time FSX was first released a little more than 10 years ago.  The Nvidia 8800GTX video card was the top of the line then too and your video card is much more powerful than what was available when FSX was first released.  Back then, we got about 15-20 fps and sometimes we were happy with 30 fps.  The key to eliminating your stuttering is to limit your FPS to 20.  You will never ever be able to eliminate it totally but it will be less noticable.  You should never set your FSX settings to the minimum graphics but they should be set to the default (when you first start up FSX, FSX will determine the best settings for your system and video card.  It misses on resolution sometimes.  With your system, you should be able to run FSX with default settings and get close to 70 fps consistently.  Just do not install any Aerosoft or PMDG aircraft...  Well, actually you could install them but you would have to keep your settings to the default.  I do not think the VC or aircraft models will look very good at default settings. 

The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide provides guidance on settings although the recommended settings are pretty high.  It also does not show settings for ATI video cards as FSX was developed with NVIDIA cards because ATI refused to upgrade their video card drivers to work with the new operating system back then, Windows Vista.  They were livid Microsoft got rid of Windows XP and to show them who's boss, they refused to upgrade the drivers until very late in the game.  So testing was done with Windows XP and Vista.  You can try the suggested settings if you keep your fps limiter no higher than 20.  If you start getting crashes, then you will know what caused it.

If you want eye-candy and faster FPS, you should get a desktop system.  Still, some members who own a system with a i7 4770K CPU with a 780GTX video card have issues too running FSX with PMDG and Aerosoft aircraft.  I have a super powerful system (see specs in my signature) and I have to hold down the settings although I can easily use the settings as suggested in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.

You might want to visit our Hardware Forum for CPU's, Motherboards, video cards and monitors to get more information about settings.  There are many people like you trying to find a system that fits and we have some computer experts who visit the forums and can provide some pretty good advice there.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

2 hours ago, VeryBumpy said:

You are trying to run some of, if not the most sophisticated addon aircraft in FSX.

Your 2.4Ghz and lowly gfx card are going to be stressed, even with default low settings.

Like Jim hints, more powerful hardware is key.

Ah Alright, Thanks for the help and the suggestion. I'll try these right now.