Sign in to follow this  
Guest mchomicz

smooth VC mouse panning - possible ?!

Guest tomyeah

hi,im searching for ways to make the mouse panning in the VC smoother. i tried F1view utility, but its not really smooth. when i set pan_rate=1 and use F1view than i get really smooth panning but just very little. so its basicly possible.id like to immitate this smooth trackIR effect with my mouse.tried to find some windows mouse driver with smoothing option or so, but without success.maybe some fs9 module coder could make such a little tool with spline based mouse smoothing. i wouldnt care about the latency, just a smooth movement in the VC would be nice, so that you can read the gauges while panning around with 0.5 zoom. if i had the F1view utility source code id try it myself ;)maybe its possible to use the "gradual transitions" from the external view inside the VC with some fs9.cfg line ?!so if anyone knows a way to smooth the mouse panning id be really happy.regards, tom.

Guest tomyeah

i got active camera, but how can you !pan! with your mouse in there smoothly ? when i active mouse panning in active camera 2004 (F12) it looks not smooth at all, its the same laggy movement when panning with the coolie hat in the vc. id like some spline smoothed panning.

>i got active camera, but how can you !pan! with your mouse in>there smoothly ? when i active mouse panning in active camera>2004 (F12) it looks not smooth at all, its the same laggy>movement when panning with the coolie hat in the vc. id like>some spline smoothed panning.What are your frame rates while panning? (Shift+Z)Marco

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

Guest dogknot

>> when i set pan_rate=1 <<default pan rate is 400, I use mine at PAN_RATE=600 for a little quicker response time.With F1View I get smooth vc panning with the mouse, same as the FS9 default vc pan with the yoke/joystick hat. Nice and smooth.Maybe recheck for the proper settings assigned to your joystick/yoke and as already mentioned, your frame rates. (??)

Guest tomyeah

my framerate is always at locked 25 fps, no drops on panning. i mean it like this http://tomyeah.com/images/norway.avi (17mb). its not smooth an damped like the VC movement in active camera. my mouse should move with the same smoothness, just as trackIR.regards, tom.

>my framerate is always at locked 25 fps, no drops on panning.>i mean it like this http://tomyeah.com/images/norway.avi >(17mb). its not smooth an damped like the VC movement in>active camera. my mouse should move with the same smoothness,>just as trackIR.>>regards, tom.Try to set all graphic sliders to left, set frame rate limits to 50, and de-activate AI traffic (if any).is it smoother?Marco

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

Guest Zevious Zoquis

Mouse panning with Active Camera is perfectly smooth for me (feels basically like mouse look in a first person shooter). I don't think it has anything to do with what the pan rate is set at at all. Heres a vid clip of me panning around like a gooney-bird...http://members.shaw.ca/ZevSpace3/panning.wmvPossibly you have your mouse sensitivity too high or too low or something?

Guest tomyeah

Zev: so we are in the same boat, i wouldnt call your panning "smooth" , try to move your mouse only one pixel on the screen and look what happens, it jumps like 5-10 pixels further in the active camera vc panning. if you look at the trackIR videos it looks almost like subpixel accuracy in panning, really smooth, like the head latency effect in active camera, its really smooth as well. i hope you get what i mean (sorry for my bad english).regards, tom.

Guest Zevious Zoquis

Well, keep in mind that the process of capping vid live like that introduces a bit of lag. The panning is smoother when I'm not capping. I haven't tried Track IR but I wouldn't be surprised if its just more sensitive than the mouse. Frankly, I don't think I'd want much more sensitivity in the panning (for mouse panning that is) as I think it'd be harder to control...as it is, the panning feels very smooth and responsive to me...

My pan rate is around 1200 and frames locked at 20. Pretty smooth for me. Practically get whip lash to look out the window... :DKevin

Guest Zevious Zoquis

Like I said, I don't think the pan rate in the fs9.cfg has any effect at all on the Active Camera mouse pan speed...I know when I chnge my pan rate it only affects the speed of the hat switch panning.

Guest Bill Hinton

Tom,This is not an answer to your question. For panning while in VC mode,I use Eyepoint (move up, down, right, left, forward and back) in addition to the Tophat switch and for fixed views, I use the Look keys on the Number pad.

>Zev: so we are in the same boat, i wouldnt call your panning>"smooth" , try to move your mouse only one pixel on the screen>and look what happens, it jumps like 5-10 pixels further in>the active camera vc panning. if you look at the trackIR>videos it looks almost like subpixel accuracy in panning,>really smooth, like the head latency effect in active camera,>its really smooth as well. i hope you get what i mean (sorry>for my bad english).You're probably not going to be able to move one pixel at a time. That would mean that your mouse's DPI would have to be at least equal to your monitor's screen resolution if not higher. There's only a few $100+ gaming and pro-graphics mice that can do this...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

>if you look at the trackIR>videos it looks almost like subpixel accuracy in panning,>really smooth, like the head latency effect in active camera,Probably the reason why TrackIR is better than the mouse, it's because TrackIR samples head movements with its own hardware, indipendently from the PC, at 120 fps, then the readings are damped/filtered and written directly to FS2004 memory area, without passing through the mouse interface.I don't think you can match TrackIR performances with the mouse, although I find Active Camera quite good. Not as good as the TrackIR, but still reasonabily smooth.