Sign in to follow this  
bbuckley

REX TD w/SC Weather themes

I generally use the REX TD w/SC weather (at destination) specific themes to create and load textures.  I use ASP4 weather engine.  I notice that Adamski_nz latest preset seems specific to a REX texture set.  ThoPat's say they are more general.  How big a deal is the REX texture set to performance of the presets?  Should I just use a specific texture set instead of weather theme?  (New to P3DV4 and PTA).

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

I find the biggest differences to the overall look of a preset are made by the *sky* textures/colouring. Cloud textures can be anything. P3D seems to use the sky colour to light the whole sim - landscape and objects/aircraft.

My presets are designed *specifically* for REX 4. I just suggested that set of textures as it was the most neutral/balanced of the lot - and that set was what I used to check the preset. I'm actually going off REX in a big way - and tend to use FEX most of the time, where I can control the sky colours better and shade the clouds better while I'm at it.

Performance is an altogether different thing. Whilst some of the tweaks in a preset can cause a bit of a frame rate hit, the biggest changes are made by the resolution and compression of the textures you create. REX, A/S and FEX all allow you to set different values for those.

Adam.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Thanks Adam, both for the reply and your contributions.  Look is what I meant, bad choice of terms.  I'll try your preset this evening with REX wx set.

So far, my system seems capable of handling the performance even with the 4096 textures.  Although I may upgrade my GPU to a 1080ti with more mem.   Unfortunately, when I built my system a couple of years ago I selected a Z97 (1150) mb so I think I'm stuck with DDR3 for the main RAM until I go to a new mb.

Thanks for the info!

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.